Support for OSC

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions Support for OSC

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Carl N Carl N 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

Please consider support for Open Sound Control.

Profile photo of Tatsuya Nakamura
    Tatsuya Nakamura
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of andiabwaerts
    andiabwaerts
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of George Puttock
    George Puttock
    Participant

+1000

Profile photo of SanjOk
    SanjOk
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of Paulucci Bakke
    Paulucci Bakke
    Participant

+1+1+1+1

Profile photo of msteel
    msteel
    Participant

I’m not against OSC on dLive, but I’d be interested in knowing what people think the advantage would be. Are there tools people like to use that support OSC and not MIDI? I have done a little coding on both X32 OSC and dLive TCP MIDI. I prefer some aspects of each over the other.

Profile photo of jc2000
    jc2000
    Participant

+1
    OSC support for all AH products!

Profile photo of BWF
    BWF
    Participant

+1

OSC definitely looks to be the future standard for audio / video system communication as it is much more flexible and easier to program, so it would be a fantastic addition to the range.

OSC vs. MIDI

We are now using OSC on projects where, in the past, we would have used MIDI. OSC is infinitely granular and bundled UDP messages occur simultaneously, continuously, and nonstop; where MIDI is limited to steps and divisions because it supports a very limited range of values. With OSC you can transmit multiple data types like 32-bit integers, floating point numbers, strings and more; while MIDI only transmits 1-byte integers 0-255. MIDI uses a compact binary message format with a limited number of fields. OSC uses a human readable, URL-style address format and can send data in forms of words or numbers. OSC also includes a picosecond-resolution timestamp while the MIDI beat-clock is low-resolution with a precision of about 20,833 microseconds. To boot, the OSC data rate is Gigabit speed while the MIDI data rate is only around 31,250 bits per second!

briteliteimmersive.com

Profile photo of Carl N
    Carl N
    Participant

+1

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.