Streaming

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Streaming

This topic contains 85 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of raycarroll03 raycarroll03 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of raycarroll03
    raycarroll03
    Participant

At church we us a interface presonus 1824c and we us vmix for streaming. Have used recording to an aux before and now to a matrix because I am tje only o e running my sq6. The streaming recordings sound ok but it seems like it is missing more quality sound. We have only been doing this for this year. Any suggestions would be great

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@raycarroll03

Welcome to the club. Many churches started live streaming this year.

We use mix78 out to a presonus (model ??) and it seems to be okay. We go to a pc with OBS, actually SLOBS.
    We used to use a matrix when we fed the video recordings via the camera, but we had to add more mike inputs from the choir to the livestream to capture the organ sound which had no mikes on it and so they switched outputs so they could control the mix easier.

What sort of problems do you think you hear? And where are you hearing them at?
    What CDN are you going to? Could they be part of the problem?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

practice, practice, practice
    are the three most important suggestions

what is “more quality sound”?

Profile photo of raycarroll03
    raycarroll03
    Participant

We are having low volume and have been told to use compression on the matrix would help have not tried it been in 14 day quarantine.

SteffenR
    Participant

better gain stageing would help as well

volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

gain staging does nothing for fixing DR that is too wide.

compression is only a partial help on Qu
    but doesnt SQ have upwards aka NY compression that could fix his problem?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

We are having low volume and have been told to use compression on the matrix would help have not tried it been in 14 day quarantine.

Are you using a mix/aux to create a separate mix to the feed the live stream or just pulling a feed from the main LR mix via the matrix?

If your not creating a separate mix you should be.
    Set up a post fade mix/aux, set all the sends for that mix on every channel
    to about 70%, now to go the channels that are spoken word inputs only, pastor mic, reader mic, pulpit mic ect. and set those channels send levels up to around 90%.
    That will bring the spoken word mics up in the streaming mix.

Listen to the live stream feed with good isolating headphones or on a computer in another room and go back and make some needed mix adjustments on the instrument inputs.
    Keep in mind any instruments that are acoustically loud in the room may need to be brought up in the live stream mix.

You can also add some of the FX returns to the live stream mix sends.
    Once you get the mix send levels set that will give a decent live stream mix feed.
    Since the mix is set to post fade overall level changes will follow the main mix with
    but the mix send level adjustments you made will track along with the main mix fader moves.

How ever your outputting that mix from the board directly from a the mix out or through a matrix out you will want to apply some moderate compression to mix with upwards to a 5 to 1 ratio.
    Bring up or down the live stream mix master level as needed for the live stream.

If you have the people available then you could do a full hands on mix of the live stream remotely with an iPad.

As Steffen mentioned good gain structure is where it all starts.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

we have a separate mix for livestream and have the same problems

our gain staging is as good as the Qu allows
    and does nothing for low volume due to DR issues

the problem is WAY TOO MUCH DR for many users especially when livestreaming
    @raycarroll03 needs to use the upwards compressor the SQ has

the pc with OBS may also need to use limiting and possibly also some more compression to get the signal to meet LUFs or similar standards, or to otherwise meet levels set by their CDN

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

the problem is WAY TOO MUCH DR for many users especially when livestreaming
    @raycarroll03 needs to use the upwards compressor the SQ has

That is the last thing he needs to worry about!!!!

NEVER have I EVER thought I could not get the job done without having upwards compression.

The QU in no way has any limiting factor in the way of gain staging.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

I did not say that the Qu has limitations in gain staging for normal groups.
    What I did say is that for only one mike there is insufficient gain and one more stage would help with the needed compression on the Qu which does not have the NY compression the SQ has.

Apparently you have never run into the typical amateur orator or the too often oddball preacherman style of going from whisper to shout possibly when also walking away from the pulpit mike and wandering the stage.

This DR and signal level issue gets worse with livestreaming when needing to meet LUFs or similar standards.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Apparently you have never run into the typical amateur orator or the too often oddball preacherman style of going from whisper to shout possibly when also walking away from the pulpit mike and wandering the stage.

You have no idea the type or number of people and groups I have done sound for and sometimes the near impossible situations to set and work in.

You are the one that has near ZERO real world experience in running sound and that is painfully obvious in reading your post from over that past year or so.

So don’t tell me what or who I have NOT worked with….. EVER!!!!!

You can blame the equipment all you want and maybe you can fool the people at your church in thinking it’s the fault of the equipment as to the issues with the sound but trust me you are fooling no one here as to what the problem really is!

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

Well if you know so much then why say we dont need what I know we need.
    You offer no facts for how to handle the situation I noted just keep saying its my fault somehow.

I never claimed to be a live sound operator.
    And I note that I have proven some of you wrong with your claims a number of times.
    With radio silence after I showed you were wrong.
    Not you personally so much as one other who is nastier than you are more often.

I was a serious hobbyist for decades and had my own home studio. Audio is not a mystery to me.
    I had been a member of AES and know audio theory well. And that includes gain staging since the mid 60s.

I am not blaming the equipment.
    I am blaming the SHORTCOMINGS IN DESIGN of our equipment for the situation we have.
    It is great for shows or groups. It is not quite adequate for a church with one person talking.

We need to squash the DR a lot more than the equipment can do.
    And @raycarroll03 said he needs to do that too.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I am not blaming the equipment.
    I am blaming the SHORTCOMINGS IN DESIGN of our equipment for the situation we have.
    It is great for shows or groups. It is not quite adequate for a church with one person talking.

I have use my QU’s many times for single mic speaking events in various locations with various people speaking
    as have and is being done with thousands of QU mixers around the world.

Well if you know so much then why say we dont need what I know we need.
    You offer no facts for how to handle the situation I noted just keep saying its my fault somehow.

Myself and many others know how to use the tools provided and make it work.

I never claimed to be a live sound operator.

Then why do you think you know all the answers?
    Actually your answers rarely actually answer a posted question.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

We need to squash the DR a lot more than the equipment can do.
    And @raycarroll03 said he needs to do that too.

You squash the DR (dynamic range) plenty with the comps on a QU with four choices of compressor
    types to choose from.

SteffenR
    Participant

nothing learned?
    upward compression is not NY compression (parallel compression)
    and upward compression is nothing for a live environment, it will lift the background noise

and proper gain staging is the first step, as many times told before

@raycarroll03

try to apply some compression on the sources first
    what is your connection to the vMix system?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.