SQ7 Sample Rate

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ7 Sample Rate

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of e.49ersfan
    e.49ersfan
    Participant

I bought a new SQ7 mixer and I’m using Dante. Can I change this mixer to 48 kHz? This mixer will be going into another mixer that only supports 48 or 44.1 kHz. Both mixers will be using Dante.

Profile photo of Das
    Das
    Participant

Dante automatically finds the device with the lowest sample rate, and sets all other devices to match. The sample rate is in the card. Not the one for the console itself

Profile photo of e.49ersfan
    e.49ersfan
    Participant

Okay thanks, also on my older digital mixer I had to check expansion card for the clock source. Is this something I need to change on the SQ7?

Profile photo of mfusa
    mfusa
    Participant

In my Waves SoundGrid setup between GLD and SQ5, I needed to manually set the SQ5 for 48K clock from its default of 96K. Works fine since then. The GLD is the master clock in my setup.

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

You do not set the SQ5 for 48KHz, it is the sample rate conversion in the Dante/Waves card you change to 48K vs 96K.
    The SQ console will always be at 96K internally.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

In my Waves SoundGrid setup between GLD and SQ5, I needed to manually set the SQ5 for 48K clock from its default of 96K. Works fine since then. The GLD is the master clock in my setup.

You are misunderstanding what you are changing. There is no way to change the clock speeds of the A&H consoles. They will ALWAYS run at their default clock speeds. When these consoles are connected to another device with a different clock speed, it’s the connection interface that will handle any needed conversion. In your case, it’s the Waves card that is handling the clock conversion, not the console itself.

You may be changing where the SQ console “looks” for it’s master clock (the Waves card instead of internal), but the console is still running at 96k.

In the OPs case, the Dante card will need to be set to 48k and it will handle the conversion. Depending on which device needs to be the master clock, they may also need to change the SQs master clock from internal to the Dante card. It’s probably best if the SQ is the master clock, meaning the SQ console’s clock is set to “Internal” and the SQ Dante card is set to “Preferred Leader” and “Sync with External” meaning it is synching with the SQ’s clock (the external device) instead of another Dante device. The second console’s Dante card should have the “Preferred Leader” option unselected.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.