SQ7 AHM16 Dante question/s

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ7 AHM16 Dante question/s

Tagged: , , , ,

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Das Das 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Das
    Das
    Participant

Having looked thru the forums for an answer with no luck figured I’d start here
    I’m a happy owner of an SQ7 with a Dante V3 card. Everything works well. Looking to expand capabilities. Already looking at acquiring an AHM16 with a Dante card for system processing
    Question: Since Dante Virtual Sound Card is limited to 32ch at 96k, can the AHM16 with Dante card be used as a “sound card”/recording interface, as well as a processor? In a perfect world tracking 42ch at 96k is the goal
    I’m aware of other options for my recording desires. Just not interested in spending unnecessary cash. Also trying to keep every aspect of the ecosystem at 96k

Surely somebody has asked, or attempted such things

Thanks

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

How should this work? AHM16 can connect to a Dante Network, that’s it.

Profile photo of Das
    Das
    Participant

Unfortunately I kinda already knew this. Was hoping I might be wrong. Another $2200 for the new Focusrite PCIe card and a Thunderbolt box will likely be my fate.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

You don’t know how Dante works? Have a read on the Audinate website.

https://www.audinate.com/meet-dante/what-is-dante

DVS can record up to 64 channels with 48kHz. A&H Dante card can work with 48kHz or 96kHz.

Profile photo of Das
    Das
    Participant

Thank you. Dante I’m OK with. I was not aware of how the AHM devices use Dante. A bit more reading showed me that what I hoped it would do is not possible.

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

I there s reason why you need 96k? I am just asking because unless you make music for bats 48k ist completly perfect.

Profile photo of Das
    Das
    Participant

96k isn’t necessary for the recording. There is, and will be more, devices in the Dante network that are 96k.
    While I’m certainly not an expert my understanding is that everything in the network should be the same sample rate. Am I wrong?

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

And you are sure, those devices cannot SRC to 48k?

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant
    Profile photo of Das
    Das
    Participant

Yes. That is an option. Not the original plan. Things may need to adapt.

Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

So FWIW, I rarely record at anything other than 48k and my largish Dante network works completely flawlessly at that rate. Works well at 96k as well when called for. And sometimes, I run two different sample rates on the network at the same time; of course 48k devices will only talk to 48k devices. Likewise 96k talking only to 96k.

But there is no Dante device in my network that won’t do both rates albeit 96k devices typically will only support one-half the number of tracks, as you already know.

D.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

96k isn’t necessary for the recording. There is, and will be more, devices in the Dante network that are 96k.
    While I’m certainly not an expert my understanding is that everything in the network should be the same sample rate. Am I wrong?

When you connect Dante devices that have different sample rates, the Dante system will automatically negotiate the system to the lowest sample rate. It is fine to have a mix of 96k and 48k devices on the Dante network. Dante will run the system at 48k and everything will work fine. Please note, the Dante sample rate is completely independent from the console’s sample rate. These conversions happen in the Dante hardware. So while the Dante network might be running at 48k, the SQ mixer will still be running at 96k.

Profile photo of Das
    Das
    Participant

Thank you

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.