SQ w/ 2 AR2412??

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ w/ 2 AR2412??

This topic contains 21 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Swell Swell 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of titoen
    titoen
    Participant

How about adding the new S-Link I/O port and have an AR2412 routed to each port? I mean running 2 cables is not ideal but it should work?

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi Klaus,

There is some additional latency from SRC when using 48kHz dSnake units.
    I’m not sure what the rumors are, but the absolute highest latency you would get is from analogue in on a second dSnake unit, up through the first unit, into the SQ via SRC in the SLink port, through all input and mix processing (with it all switched in if you like!), back through SRC, back through the first unit and to an output on the second. This would be around 1.5ms 🙂

DX units or the DX Hub all run at 96kHz and therefore do not need the SRC, the example above with a couple of DX168’s in cascade is sub millisecond.

Hope this helps,
    Keith.

Profile photo of JeroenAudio
    JeroenAudio
    Participant

It is almost one year ago that participant titoen asked whether it was possible to connect two AR2412 boxes to a single SQ console by using two CAT cables and the additional SQ Slink card (and of course taking the processing limitations of the SQ in mind). I have not been able to find the answer here on the forum.

As I prefer to have two AR2412 stage boxes in stock instead of an AR2412 and for instance an AB168 (as two AR2412 boxes would provide more opportunities for renting out), I was wondering whether anyone of you has ever tried this set up and/or if any member of the A&H staff can advice.

Best regards,

Jeroen

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi @jeroenaudio,

As in the first page of this thread, and in the SLink connections document (now at V1.4) – it is not possible to daisy chain 2x AR2412’s.

However, with the addition of an SQ-SLink option card, it is possible to connect 2x AR2412’s to the same SQ – by using two cables as you mention.

Every example that you see in the SLink connections document can be used on either the in-built SLink port or the SLink option card.
    The best bit, is that any two examples (even two different protocols) can be used simultaneously, one on each SLink port.

Thanks!
    Keith.

Profile photo of JeroenAudio
    JeroenAudio
    Participant

That’s good news, thanks for confirming Keith.

Profile photo of Robby W
    Robby W
    Participant

And now there is the GX4816 which has 48 inputs, 16 outputs connected via the GX connection. It runs at the full 96kHz and has a DX link Jack for further expansion. It takes the same rack space as the two AB2412 units. I have seen it advertised for $3699 and I’ll bet you can buy it for less. Neat solution with one cable to connect it. It’s on my list for the future.

Profile photo of Swell
    Swell
    Participant

The SLink IO card proved useful over the weekend. I needed to route audio around 2 city blocks for a car show. I ran 2x dx168s from the main SLink port, and then in the opposite direction I connected a AR2412 and a Ab168 to the SLink IO card. That allowed me to help route several speakers across a 1200’ span. Next I plan on grabbing a DX Hub and a few more DX168s to expand my systems flexibility/capability across 1500’. Thanks for the great documentation showing what the capabilities (and maximum limitations) are for the SQ!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.