SQ-7 – one channel not respecting mute or fader

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting SQ-7 – one channel not respecting mute or fader

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of muddy muddy 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of muddy
    muddy
    Participant

SQ-7, firmware 1.5.9 r4117 (current release at the moment). Running a setup that includes the SQ-7 and the DX168 16 channel stage box connected to the board via s-link. Haven’t had any issues with this setup prior to the firmware update a couple of weeks ago. In summer break now (EDU setting) so I haven’t been running events. Came to test some things for an event in a week, and have a head-scratcher.

I have encountered a couple of issues with mics plugged into certain channels of the stage box. For example, at the moment, a mic plugged into channel 7 on the stage box works 100% as expected. Respects fader levels, channel mute, etc. But if I plug into channel 10, as soon as I bring the MAIN/LR fader up, I’ve got sound in the house. Ch10 fader doesn’t do anything to that mic. Mute on Ch10 doesn’t mute the channel in the mains. On the mixer, I’ve gone through every screen I can think of to try and figure out what’s going on. In routing, Ch9 and Ch10 (comparing 2 channels side by side) have the exact same settings here (MainLR is turned On). In I/O, under Inputs > Slink > Channel 9 on the mixer is mapped to input 9 on Slink, 10 on mixer is mapped to input 10 on Slink. I looked through all the rest of the inputs/outputs/tie lines screens and I don’t see anything showing ch9 or 10 mapped to anything differently from what I expect. In the preamp screens, for channel 9, I’m showing Slink socket 9 mapped to channel 9, and the same setup for channel 10. No inserts are in place for either channel. Gain/trim and all other settings are similar. I’m looking at the direct out screen for both channels (I don’t use that function), but they are showing identical settings for both of those.

What am I missing here? This setup is run as a pretty simple configuration that was previously trouble-free, so I’m not sure what would have changed since I upgraded the firmware. Any ideas you have are welcome.

Profile photo of muddy
    muddy
    Participant

I should note that I did fully power down the mixer and stage box for a few minutes while troubleshooting and that didn’t seem to impact this behavior.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

Take a look at the Main LR channel (PreAmp screen) and see if your Channel 10 is assigned to it as an external input. If it is then it is assigned prefader to Main LR and will ignore the Channel 10 fader.
    That has bitten me in the past.

Profile photo of muddy
    muddy
    Participant

thanks, airickess! That was it. I have no clue how that got changed, but I am suspicious that somehow the firmware update did it. Maybe that’s not even possible, though…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.