split main and monitor solutions for Qu series

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions split main and monitor solutions for Qu series

This topic contains 27 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I have a three day event coming up where we do as Mark described:

Qu stage side, FOH from an iPad. Saves on cabling and keeps walkway clear thus reducing liability. Line checks are done at the desk. After that it’s just tweaking the mix out front.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’ve run a number of gigs that way, it’s fine if it’s a band you know, but I’m not sure I’d like it for the merry go round of a festival…

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

We were not allowed a FOH mixing position (we were officially a stall-holder, not a stage!) so didn’t really have a choice. To be honest, with a good tech on the monitor desk taking responsibility for getting a sensible gain setting and channel naming it was relatively pain free.

Main problems we found were the visibility of the iPad screen in bright sunlight – if anybody has a good solution to this, do tell. Then there’s battery life over a long day. This was easily sorted by having 2 iPads – one stays at the desk charging (and being used) and we swapped them every couple of bands.

I’ve done “one desk and an iPad” with the desk at FOH and iPad for mons in the past and found that more tricky. iPad for only L&R is much easier than for 4 or 5 stage mixes.

Oh – and mix sends are all set to pre-eq so FOH bod can adjust eq as required. Apart from one acoustic guitar which I suspect had a faulty pickup, lack of individual eq on channels for mons was not a problem.

Dick Rees
    Participant

Mark…

I use an iPad cover with a magnetic strip that puts the Pad in “nap” mode when you close the cover. Open it frequently and you’re still connected. After a longer pause it may take a second or two to re-connect, but it’s not a problem…especially if you’re out in the open and the only “real” network going. I can easily do 8 hours on a single charge.

Linkie:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/378849/Smart_Cover_for_iPad_2_-_Dark_Gray

Mine is another brand and cost $20 less.

Profile photo of I am
    I am
    Participant

I just purchased a AR2412. Is their a solution for a monitor board out of the monitor port?

Dick Rees
    Participant

From p. 2 of the User Guide PDF:

ď‚„MONITOR port Cat5 cable link to connect to Allen & Heath ME personal mixing system. With a GLD system, the port is also compatible with AviomTM A-16 personal mixers.

The 2412 does not act as a splitter. If you desire a feed to a separate monitor console you can use an analog splitter to feed signal to both the 2412 and the second (monitor) console.

It may be more practical to simply use an iPad to mix the monitors.

Profile photo of I am
    I am
    Participant

I wonder if a solution is in the works. If you can use a ME1. Why not a second board?

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Do a search, this has been discussed to death elsewhere. Just not possible.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

The issue is that it would have to be a clock slave, which isn’t in the architecture of the QU series, so it would be another dedicated mixer – which would be rather low volume and therefore expensive…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I spent a day setting up an Aggregate system using GSR24m (firewire) and QU32 (using USB for audio & Ethernet for control) with Reaper in my studio on iMac last week.
    What a mssion!
    They actually both worked really well “until” I put a mic through the system on each mixer
    Then the sync just dropped right out?
    I guess its like putting the air con on in a car?
    It seemed to slow the QU down?
    I got it all working with the QU as a slave (clock) in the Mac Aggregate system however the QU had a latency of about a slap back echo of a long marquee or like a buddy holly sound.
    It was just an excerise … you know . one of those things you try out? experiment with.
    The QU is just not designed to be run like this.
    And I dare say a lot of other digital mixers the same…
    And yet the ME1 sounds so great running out of the QU monitor port?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Because the ME1 *is* a clock slave

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Just a short comment to that setup: The Qu can not run as a slave, it always is a clock master. The audio system inside the Mac performs the role of synchronizing multiple masters together, which requires some form of software resampling. This is where the additional latency comes from, not from the Qu.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

ARe you referrencing to the Aggregrate system?
    It actually runs perfectly in the end however as you say the latency of the QU was unworkable except for delayed reverbs ect..
    They controllers were instand as they wer Midi driven through ethernet control.
    A good thing that came of it was the Reaper automation taught me a few thigs.
    Ther Qu worked well with that from Reaper
    However I wont be persuing it.,
    Kust a experiment
    The are pretty rogh videws but someone may get something oit of them?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.