Showing Current Scene When Turned On

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Showing Current Scene When Turned On

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of hankg hankg 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of hankg
    hankg
    Participant

Hi all, So, it took forever to get this feature to happen on our dLive, and for the life of me, I can’t see why this isn’t a part of firmware 1.0 on all A&H consoles as it is so elementary.

So, let me paint the scenario. I’ve got a Qu-Pac that gets used all over our school campuses, and it has around 20 scenes stored in it, and they are used based on a given event. When I boot up the Qu-Pac, the Scene indications shows this: Current Scene: (blank) Next Scene: (Scene 1 showing the title of the first scene always).

I’ve used the console, saved my scene, turned off the console and tore everything down. When I go to set for an event, because of the above indicators, I have no idea what scene I’m in. That just doesn’t make sense. None of my data from the scene I last used is lost, and it’s right where I left off. The problem is, I have to remember which scene I’m in. The dLive used to do the same thing and that was finally dealt with. With all of the digital consoles I’ve used, I’ve never seen this type of thing.

Please tell me I’m missing something. That can’t be hard to program.

Henry

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Agreed, that’s not really convenient. The trick is to always re-open the scene after starting the mixer.

Giga

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@hankg

The reason for this is that ‘Current Scene:’ is a bit of a misnomer.

There is only one current state of the mixer, which is saved every second or so and recalled when you reboot.

When recalling a scene, you replace all the data in this current state with the data from the stored scene.
    So you’re never actually working ‘in’ a scene and once you move a fader or change anything at all, your current state no longer matches the stored scene.

So when you say you want to know which scene the mixer is in – it’s really just a clue, as you could have changed every single parameter of the mixer and it would still be showing the same ‘current scene’.
    A better label would probably be ‘The scene you last recalled, since this unit was booted’, but that’s a bit long. ‘Last scene’ sounds like previous scene and not really correct either, so I do think current scene is the best option, it just causes confusion if you start thinking about it in the same way as opening a file on a computer, which is not what’s going on.

Saying all this, I can see why it can be useful to have the displayed current scene persist across power cycles, so perhaps there’s a way we can do this in SQ land too, if it’s something a lot of people want.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Would “current scene basis” fit ? 🙂

Giga

Profile photo of hankg
    hankg
    Participant

So, here’s what I’ve seen done on other digital consoles, and should be very easy to implement. When the saved scene has been altered in any way, have an asterisk appear wishing the “current Scene” area. That indicates that you are using the scene you last recalled, but it has been edited/altered in some way. That also gives you the chance to save/update that scene after you’ve used/edited that scene but shut down before saving. That way I don’t have to remember which scene I was using and don’t save over a different scene and hose that event it was created for and will get used again.

Hoping this makes sense. Like I said, it was dealt with on the dLive system.

Henry

Profile photo of hankg
    hankg
    Participant

Thanks Keith for your insight. Might I take another view of a similar thing. Say I’m working in a Word document. I’ve saved it, but if I make any edits but not save anything yet, I’m still “in” that document. That’s my view of how a scene should work. I understand that there are auto-saves, just like in Word, but until you actually “save” that document, they aren’t saved in the file, just temporary saves.

Sure hope this makes sense.

Henry

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.