Send and Return patching

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Send and Return patching

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Edoardo Edoardo 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Edoardo
    Edoardo
    Participant

It would be great if it was possible to patch the four FX Sends that the SQ has to an external output, to be able to use them with some external gear and not just internally.
    At the same time it would be great if the 8 FX Returns that the SQ has could be patched from an external source, maybe by adding a “Mix Ext In” on the channel. This would allow users to patch external effects (such as waves or liveprofessor) without losing any other aux sends and just using the 4 stereo sends built into the console.
    I’m not too sure about how it works but I don’t see any reasons why this couldn’t be implemented, it would just be a couple of tweaks to allow for external input and output on an exisiting processing path.

Also, this would allow people to make full use of all 8 rack slots and at that point the SQ would be even more powerful as a console.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@Edoardo

I’m afraid this is not possible.

Although the keys and channels are in a similar place and there are many other similarities in how things function (e.g. select an FX and send to it or routing an FX return to an output), FX sends and returns are completely different in the core to aux/group mixes and input processing channels by design.

All routing points need to exist even when not being used. You could think of it like sockets in the analogue domain as they have to pre-exist for you to be able to connect separate pieces of equipment.
    These points are displayed in the GUI as the different sockets in the I/O screen.
    The FX sends and returns do not have these patch points.
    There is no separate sum and then a patch point/tap off to the FX unit which could be used to patch to an output socket.
    The FX returns are more like extensions of the FX unit output with minimal (PEQ) processing and no input routing points.

I agree it would be great, but it’s been built this way because the alternative would be to always use full aux sends and input processing channels for the FX (and maybe only get a couple more of each).

Thanks (sorry!)
    Keith.

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

If I got it right, between V1.2 and V1.3 some routing points for Monitoring and PAFL were created via Firmware update.
    The block diagram changed massively, so I don’t think that these nodes exist in V1.2

So as I can see – there is a way to build these patching tap offs via firmware…

Maybe it’s not an technical questions if this feature request will be implemented or not.

Greetings dd

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Here the block diagrams

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Edoardo
    Edoardo
    Participant

I see your point, and thanks for taking the time to reply to this Keith.

I would have loved for this to be a possibility even just to allow for some extra fx returns for some extra channels, but I do see how it can be impossible to build into a fixed architecture like an SQ5.

Well I’ll live without it, I’ve already figured out how to do more sends without using the FX sends I just need to hope I don’t need all my 48 inputs for all my FX (and to be honest the only external fx I use most of the times are just a vocal reverb and maybe a snare reverb so I’ll be just fine)

Thanks again!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.