Rerouting IEM Mix

Forums Forums Avantis Forums Avantis General Discussions Rerouting IEM Mix

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RevTL
    RevTL
    Participant

I am running my IEM’s through my FOH Avantis but am looking to reroute those to my SQ5 to be able to use the SQ4you app so my vocalists can mix themselves. How would I do that? I do have a wireless router connected to the SQ.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

You would have to route all of the channels from the Avantis to the SQ via a GigaAce connection (or another transport protocol like Dante or Madi if you have the corresponding cards in each system) using tielines or DirectOuts from the Avantis. This is accomplished in the routing tab. If you have stageboxes connected to the Avantis already (using the built in GigaAce port), you’ll need to purchase a GigaAce card for the Avantis to gain the needed GigaAce connection. You’ll connect the output of this card to the built in SLink port on the SQ (assuming no stage boxes are connected to that console). You’ll need to set up all the desired inputs and aux channels on the SQ and use the SQ4you app to control the system.

The easier method (assuming you have enough available busses to support your monitor needs on the Avantis), is to use the Avantis for monitors. Obviously there is no Avantis4you app available, but you can use the A&H CustomControl software and create a setup where the individual musicians can mix their own monitors. Please look at my link for an example of how my church currently handles this. The CustomControl app is available on pretty much every common OS (iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, etc).

Another option would be have your musicians use the third party app, Mixing Station, to control their monitor mixes. This might be easier to set up initially (compared to the CustomControl app), but would require each musician to purchase their own license for the Avantis.

Allen & Heath Custom Control design for musician’s personal monitors – updated

Profile photo of RevTL
    RevTL
    Participant

I am running both mixers on my Dante network but can’t seem to find how to patch the IEM so that we can control from the SQ instead of the Avantis. This is my issue. I am familiar with the Custom control software but was trying to avoid it if I could but this may be my best option. Thanks for the help.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Well if you have Dante in both consoles, then you need to route all of your channels on the Avantis “out” through the Avantis Dante I/O card’s outputs and “in” to the SQ using that console’s Dante I/O card’s inputs. You’ll route this I/O in the respective console’s routing tabs. You’ll also need to make sure you have set up the correct routing within the Dante Controller app – effectively linking the two card’s together with the proper channel mapping.

Once the inputs are correctly routed to the SQ console, then you still need to set it up “normally” with all the channel “sources” assigned to the Dante card’s inputs (rather than local or DLink) and the correct number of auxes set up, etc, etc, etc. It’s a completely independent system (other than the sharing of preamps) from the Avantis at that point. If you need to use the physical XLR outputs on the Avantis system or stageboxes connected to the Avantis system, then you will need to send the aux “outputs” back through the Dante cards (ie “Out” on the SQ, and “In” on the Avantis – again with the corresponding matrix setup in the Dante Control software) and then assign those incoming audio channels to physical outputs. However you could also avoid all of that extra routing if you just used the physical XLR outputs on the SQ console to feed your IEM/monitors.

I should note that setting it up this way will “remove” the monitors/IEM from the Avantis completely. For example, you won’t need/use busses on the Avantis for the monitors/IEM in this case like you currently do. That will be handled by the SQ.

Hopefully that helps!

Profile photo of RevTL
    RevTL
    Participant

I decided to go ahead and build a mix using Custom Control. I am running into some problems though. I need to be able to add a drop down menu or something to be able to have my vocalists be able to select which mix to control. I have the interface set up and all signals are working but I need to add the mix source and destination and I’m not sure how that is done because every time I try to put multiple source numbers in it will back them out and shows “0”. What should I do?

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I’m not in front of my system right now so my “terms” might be incorrect, but you need to use a “tab” widget. You select the number of tabs you want to use (ie the number of musicians that will be sharing the app) and place it in the design. You will then have to build out each “tab” separately (you can build one completely and then copy/paste it to another tab, but you will still need to edit the buss that the widgets are controlling).

I went a step further and added a second tab widget to every musician’s tab which allows them to select inputs across several pages/tabs of inputs. This is obviously going to be a requirement if you have more than about 8-12 inputs that the musicians need to “mix” for their monitors.

If you look at my earlier post, my Imgur link takes you to a group of screenshots that loosely describes how I did this.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.