Removing sibilance

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Removing sibilance

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Zzsolo Zzsolo 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of chrisgreenwood
    chrisgreenwood
    Participant

Hi

We have someone with a strong S, what’s tie best way to make it nicer for everyone?

We have a qu32

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

EQ out 7-10 kHz?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What is the source, singing or speaking?
    Type of mic can make a difference.

As Tobi said an EQ cut in the SSSSSS area can help. Start out with a wider
    EQ bandwidth and then narrow it down as you dial the frequency into the problem area.

Profile photo of chrisgreenwood
    chrisgreenwood
    Participant

It was talking on the G3 Handheld but i did try to EQ it out between the 6-8khz (i read it somewhere) but it didn’t seem to make much difference

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What mic capsule is on the G3, I assume it’s a when you say G3 it’s a Sennheiser
    wireless.

Boost the eq in that range and sweep it around a bit, when you hit an area that makes
    it worse cut the EQ at that point

What is the rest of the system, may at some place in the system wide EQ there is bump in the high frequency eq making the issue even more noticeable.

Profile photo of Zzsolo
    Zzsolo
    Participant

Sennheiser wireless mics (the analog ones) maximize their S/N by pre-emphasis/de-emphasis. This can easily result in overdriven high frequencies (even when you are far away from clipping) that you perceive as over-emphasised sibilance. Try to lower the gain in the transmitter.
    And then the remaining sibilance can be removed with an EQ, as described above.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.