Record less than 18 channels?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Record less than 18 channels?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gilly gilly 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of AB7
    AB7
    Participant

A person would have to stop and start the mixer after every song or two in a live setting. That is the problem. As opposed to many other recording devices that make new files without losing information. That is why other recorders do that!

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Nah, I record whole sets, if not gigs.

The file size limit is per track, so 8 hours at a time is OK

Profile photo of AB7
    AB7
    Participant

Thanks Bob. I just recorded a couple of hours and it was not an issue. I think it will be just fine. I did not hit the gig limit per file, so I wonder if it will stop at 2 gb per file?
    Best,
    AB

Profile photo of timhum
    timhum
    Participant

Like Bob above, I record 14 tracks of material (and 4 empty tracks) regularly on a SanDisk extreme. The gig starts at 9PM and grinds to a halt at around 11:30 PM. I don’t normally bother to stop recording at the break around halfway through the evening.
    The manual for the QU 16 does not include the SanDisk Extreme memory sticks as suitable because they were not around at the time it was written, they work perfectly. The only warning I should give is that there are plenty of fake memory sticks out there so make sure you buy from a reputable dealer. The memory sticks are so much more reliable than the bog standard hard disks which can experience problems with vibration at high acoustic sound levels experienced on stage!
    One more word of caution, it is possible to snag the memory stick with your headphone lead, I route mine around the back and bring it up on the left side of the mixer to avoid messing up the recording.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I use a uSB3 extension lead with a right angled connector to put the stick under the mixer.

Profile photo of AB7
    AB7
    Participant

Bob and Timhum –
    Have you downloaded your files into a DAW like Sonar or something like that. Do they all line up? I assume they would if each track starts at the beginning. Just a paranoid question, I guess!

I am going to try it out wiht a WD my passort ultra USB hard drive (technically USB 3, but it is backward compatible and it works). I do not think there are moving parts in it.

By the way, is it USB 3 (or 2?)

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Yes, they line up. If you look round the forum there are tests people have done looping through the analogue domain…

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

And regarding the WD Ultra check out Nicola’s most recent posting.
    Of course this is a mechanical drive and it is not supported as a QuDrive.

Profile photo of AB7
    AB7
    Participant

It is a mechanical drive. I was wrong about that. BUT it did record for the last two hours in a test! So it did work on the Q drive.

Profile photo of timhum
    timhum
    Participant

Hi AB7, I use Audacity and there are no issues. I have to load the tracks individually and they all line up. I did a video shoot and mixed down using the desk but it was a long recording and I would not do that again. Far better on the computer in my view.

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

My USB stick is a 32GB SanDisk Cruzer Glide.
    The continuous write speed is 8MB/sec

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.