Recommended wifi router

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Recommended wifi router

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Adethefade Adethefade 1 day, 13 hours ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Adethefade
    Adethefade
    Participant

Sorry: I’ve no doubt that this has been discussed but I really don’t have time to do the required reading! I’ve just learned that, on a festival I’m doing next week, there’s no FOH position. My show uses more than 40 channels but that precipitates down to 8 DCAs & some FX returns, so it’s do-able on an iPad but not what I would choose. I carry an Apple Airport express but I really only use this during system setup and maybe if I wander from the desk during the show. I’d love to get a quick poll of what Wifi routers are working well for people who are often in similar situations. Many thanks for any help. Adrian

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

There’s lots of choices but I have been using an TP Link Archer C80 WIFI router with solid results.
    I operate only on 5g and a hidden SSID.
    Also on my Andriod tablet I have a APP called “WIFI Man” that I use to scan for operating WIFI channels in the area and set the router to the most open channel.
    Normally I operate on the lower end of the 5g channels like 36, 40, 44, 48.

Profile photo of mfusa
    mfusa
    Participant

As mentioned, a lot of good options. I like the GL-iNet Opal or Beryl. They are small, cheap, and are super easy to use in multiple modes. For example, it can be use WiFi as a WAN link while kept in router mode. This allows you to keep your own little private network configured all the time but, if needed and available, you can join an upstream guest or private wifi network for internet access.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I really like the various offerings from GL-iNet. They have really cornered the market for these “travel” routers which are small, but very capable. Personally I use an Opal because it is one of the cheapest options, yet as all the features I need. It’s super easy to create your own private network (wireless and/or wired), while also tieing into the facility’s network (wireless or wired)) for internet access. If that’s not available, then you can use another device (phone, cellular modem, etc) to connect and use as a “hotspot” – either connecting it directly via USB or wirelessly using Wi-Fi.

Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

Are the GL-iNet routers “manageable”? Static IP addresses and the like?

D.

Profile photo of mfusa
    mfusa
    Participant

Very. They use a customized version of the DD-WRT OS

Profile photo of Adethefade
    Adethefade
    Participant

Thanks everyone. I’ll order a GL-iNet.model right now. I wasn’t even aware of the brand so this thread has been a real help. Ade

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.