Query mixer state with MIDI?

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Query mixer state with MIDI?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MikeShand MikeShand 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of retroj
    retroj
    Participant

Hello,

I’m working on a python program to control my GLD-80 over MIDI, and I have it receiving messages from the mixer when I move faders and toggle mutes. I wonder though, is there a way to query the entire state of the mixer over MIDI so that my program’s faders would be synced with the actual values of the faders on the GLD? It appears that the iPad software is able to do this somehow.

Thank you

Profile photo of MikeShand
    MikeShand
    Participant

When I looked at this some time ago I couldn’t see a way to do what you want ( but that may just be me). You can set the faders to a particular position via midi, and you can get midi messages when you move them, so I was thinking of starting off by setting them all to zero to get a known state. I was looking at this because I had a similar idea of writing some python code to interface to the GLD from a raspberry pi. However I never got any further than thinking about it.

I’d be very interested in what you have done.

Mike

Profile photo of retroj
    retroj
    Participant

Hi Mike,

Hmm, I wonder if it would be possible to snoop on the TCP connection of the iPad software and see what it does to get this information.

Profile photo of retroj
    retroj
    Participant

Oh, GLD Remote is doing an actual linux login into the mixer, not just MIDI.

Is there an API available for that?

Profile photo of MikeShand
    MikeShand
    Participant

There is certainly nothing published. I suspect AH don’t want to make that publicly available. My guess is attempting to reverse engineer that would be quite challenging if the show file format is anything to go by. I took a look at that in the hope it was some nice XML so I could print out configurations, but it turned out to be an archane binary format.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.