QU Studio A/B studio monitor speaker selector

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU Studio A/B studio monitor speaker selector

Tagged: 

This topic contains 20 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi.
    This is an enquiry to find out what other QU users are using as an A/B studio monitor speaker selector within studio use.

I have been used-to A/B speaker and mono selection scenario ‘plus headphones’

All thoughts/opinions welcome.

regards
    NZdave

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Anyone with a stagebox can simply patch the outputs to different speaker sets.

Other options require critical care when matching levels. True AB tests are hard, since even fractions of a dB can influence which speaker set is preferred.

Alternatively using group/matrix outputs where available
    Or of course go for an analogue loophole, and pull the LRPre out of the AuxOut and feed it through ST3 to Mix9/10

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

At home I use a TC Electronic BMC-2. Suitable for my purposes, but I admit it has a strange complement of connections!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Ok Thanks for that reply.
    I have twin large projects and coming from Studio desk GSR24m I spent a whole day trying to work out just how I could PAFL and then A/B 2 different studio monitors for 2 QU32s i’m running.
    So I did look at moniotr management EG: https://www.sweetwater.com/c417–Monitor_Management

However decided to run a second pair of moniotrs from the AUX9/10
    Everything post fade/
    And then assigned like an upper and lower mute function to the different studio speakers.
    However the PAFL will only work with the ALT out and then of course there is no Mono mode either.
    By turning all routing off to FOH and running all channels through Reaper I’m able to listen back on channels 30/31 and solo or direct those to the different A/B studio speakers.

However I think you have the answer.
    AN outboard device.

Thanks for answering.
    NZdave

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

I don’t use my Qu16 as a DAW interface, but when I am mixing at home with my DAW I use a Radial MC3 Monitor Controller to switch between monitors and also different headphones.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Ok
    Thanks airickess.
    I’ll try to up load what I have done…
    On saving money I simply mute the upper of lower monitors.
    It took a bit to get my head around it. But it works

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

The device that seems most promising is the Mackie Big Knob Desktop Studio Monitor System, available at Amazon for $300. It has 4 inputs and 3 outputs, and it appears that the level of each output can be set independently, which makes it ideal for A/B comparisons. All I/O connections are TRS jacks.

The $300 PreSonus Monitor Station V2 Desktop Studio Control Center is also good for A/B comparisons, as the outputs have independent level controls. The outputs are TRS quarter-inch jacks. Inputs are TRS and RCA jacks. This is an attractive unit, and Presonus has a good reputation for quality, IMHO.

The Radial MC3 mentioned about might also work for you. It sells for $260, but does not have independent volume controls for the outputs and has only one input. I/O jacks are quarter inch and can be used for balanced or unbalanced connections.

One device for such comparisons is the JBL MSC1 Monitor System Controller, available at Amazon for $300. It has a number of nice features, particularly a room correction capability, but it has received a number of bad reviews on Amazon.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks for that DoctorG
    just looking now.
    I called a couple stores here but, terrible response!Really unhelpful.

So the Big Knob looks interesting?
    An IEC with no earth huh?
    The only issue is gosh is this more noise in the out putput signal chain?
    Another mixer … 😐
    I would need 2 of them.. the dollars add up!

Thanks again

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

Let me also add that Samson makes a monitor controller that sells for $100 and may meet your needs.

Profile photo of Salislore
    Salislore
    Participant

[XAP]Bob,

I just got my new QU-24 a couple of weeks ago. It’s my first digital mixer, so I’m a newbie.

I am also interested in using my QU-24 to A/B studio monitors rather than buy a monitor control box. I read your post and I’m a little unclear as to what you meant. I was thinking about using the Matrix Outputs to send the LR signal to my second set of studio monitors while using the RL Mains to feed my other studio monitors. Are you saying it would be too difficult to get those output signals matched to get a representative equal sound for each set of monitors?

Any feedback from you or anyone else would be appreciated.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Welcome Salislore.
    Congrats on your new purchase!
    They are fab mixers and very flexible.

cheers
    NZdave

Salislore
    Participant

Thanks NZdave!!
    I’m very impressed so far. I’m a long time MixWizard WZ3 16.2 user, so I’m a fan of Allen & Heath mixers.
    Cheers.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Output via the matrices is fine – I don’t know why I said “otherwise”. It’s always critical to get levels matched.

Salislore
    Participant

Thanks [XAP]Bob!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

If the A/B-ing is for studio you will want to PAFL or solo a channel to either A set of speakers or B set.
    The matrix cannot receive a single channel and a little slow to get into..
    In my case set up where I use multiple channels to feed Reaper software, I listen back through channels 30/31 [panned hard left/right] which is directed to Main FOH or Control Room [which is the correct terminology for studio set up] ALT out being the PAFL bus I choose to selct for Alt-out.
    I also set the same levels [mechanically ear volume speaking] to mix 9/10 and then either mute the Alt-out or mix 9/10 [being the 2 x A/B different speaker types] or mute both A & B to use headphones.
    All of my QU channels are turned off within QU Router to direct FOH signal and all signals are directed through the software in my iMAC or MacBookPro so I can hear what data sounds like “after its been through its A to D conversion.
    A draw-back is QU desk PAFL only goes to one set of speakers being ALT out within the lower level layer.
    Although in Custom Daw mode if you solo you then you get ‘solo in place’ to return to channel 30/31 which you can choose either of the A/B speakers which you unmute to listen to.
    And I’m about to put in a single speaker to listen to mono mix from another Aux mix [probably mix4] from the return of Channel 30/31 from the Software Reaper which is what I use.
    Remember you can select in PAFL control to use ‘PAFL add mode’ to combine multiple PAFLs’

Hope this helps anyone with out too much confussion for simple A/B STUDIO CONTROL ROOM MONITORING.
    Of course this is only ‘one option’ for using a QU in studio scenario
    And this is called ITB [‘in the box’ with your favourite plugins etc]
    OTB [out of the box] requires returning all signals back into each channel [viz USB streaming] to mix with-in the QU desk ITB [in the box]

This setup is NOT using an AR stage box but direct into the QU mixer

Appologies for digressing away from original post.
    And remember there are a whole raft of options for monitoring to individual musicians if required.

Hope tha I have scratched the surface for you.

cheers
    NZdave

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.