Qu Multitrack Recording Software

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu Multitrack Recording Software

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Hanroux
    Hanroux
    Participant

I use my Qu24 mostly for live shows & events. When a recording needs to be done, a simple L&R recording is usually done to document certain shows. It has come to a point where multi track recordings are now in high demand for certain live events. I’m aware that the Qu24 can record up to 16 separate tracks straight to a external HD via USB, but sometimes all 24 channels also needs to be recorded. I tried using Audacity on my Macbook Pro to achieve this, but it crashes a few minutes after trying to record some tracks. The correct settings were also used (48k, 24 bit) but it still crashes. I downloaded a trial version of Reaper, but getting it set up with the Qu24 seems to be a little more tricky than a freeware app like Audacity. Not sure if I’m missing some of the steps, I’ve heard good reviews for Reaper, especially since it’s so affordable, but I’ve been unable to set it up for multi track recording with my limited knowledge of the program.

I need a simple multi tracking solution that is easy to use (for sound engineers such as myself that works on live shows most of the time) without all the studio extras (DAW, Midi features, etc). I just want to be able to record all 24 tracks separately on a stable platform & the tracks can be used by the client in their own studio afterwards.

Any input will be appreciated!

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Did you try Waves Track Live? Slightly more expensive compared to reaper but more focused on recording.

On the other hand setting up reaper shouldn’t be too much magic either:
    – First go to the audio settings and choose the Qu24 (on Windows select ASIO first).
    – Right click in an empty project and “add multiple tracks”
    – Open the “Routing” screen to assign input channels to each track (should have a diagonal row of dots in the end)
    – You may want to name some of the tracks, which have a fixed assignment
    – Select all Tracks
    – Arm record (actually all tracks)

Save this project as your recording template, this only have to be done once.

To start a new recording:
    – open that template and save the project into a new directory
    – press record

This is from my Brains-Cache, so excuse for any inaccuracy… πŸ˜‰

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Never had an issue with audacity (assuming durations under 12 hours, it doesn’t like really long recording sessions) on Windows, Linux or Mac…

It’s not the fastest way to get stuff to disk, but it is cheap…

Any logs generated by the crash?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I don’t mean to go against my forum buddies. But take it from someone that’s been in recording over 45yrs. You get what you pay for. You’ve heard that before. I had over $100,000 in high end Pro Tools systems for over last 20yrs up to 2012. Sold it all. Recently wanted to get back in a little to use on multiple consoles. I tried to go cheap. I ordered a Presonus interface that came with Studio One 3. While it’s ok it’s not Pro Tools. I got the interface for another reason. This past weekend I did a live outdoor concert on a QU32. I put a thumb drive on it and recorded 18trs. Imported them into SO3. USB to a QU16. Just did automation on the SO3. Did EQ, compression and FX on the QU. The software worked but was a pain. The console was great.
    So I’m giving up. Ordered Pro Tools today. I guess I’m more comfortable with it. It is much easier and I know it works.

Profile photo of DanZ
    DanZ
    Participant
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I don’t mean to go against my forum buddies.

Different experiences are always welcome. I don’t do this for a living, so my inclination is generally to use open source software where possible.

Profile photo of Hanroux
    Hanroux
    Participant

Thanks Andreas, Waves Tracks Live looks like a suitable solution for what I’m trying to do. Will give it a test run & see how it works for me.

[XAP]Bob no logs were generated. Audacity would crash less than a few seconds into starting the recording. I can probably try to uninstall & reinstall it, but I would actually prefer a better platform for this type of work.

GCumbee, I hear what you say, you get what you pay for. My only issue is that I don’t do studio work at all, so ProTools is an overkill for the occasions that I do need to do multitrack recordings. I never edit, mix or master any of the recorded material myself, I simply supply the client with the raw recordings. ProTools won’t be worth the investment, since I won’t use it to it’s full potential on a regular basis. I’ve worked with it on a few occasions to record voice overs (many, many years ago) & it’s definitely one of the best out there, but won’t make sense for me to purchase it.

DanZ will definitely have a look!

Thanks for the input so far guys!

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

We use a QU32 at our church. Recording is just a two-track audio sent directly to a PC that runs a very simple but very functional program called EZTracker. Have used Audacity, but EZTracker is more efficient for our purposes. Two tracks only. Another similar program is Total Recorder.

I also have used a Presonus iLive 16-channel mixer and the Presonus software. That works quite well, and is about as simple as it gets for multi-channel recording. I haven’t tried the software on another brand of mixer, but it should work using ASIO drivers. With new Presonus mixers that have motorized faders, multitrack recordings are a breeze.

Most of my recording is done using a Behringer X18 on a Windows PC running Reaper. This works quite well, and Reaper is a powerhouse DAW. However, the Reaper learning curve can be quite steep. Setting it up for a recording is relatively simple, but it’s not intuitive. I recommend that you view some of the online videos, particularly those by Kenny Gioia. For the money, Reaper cannot be beat, in my opinion. Check out Reaper Explained

If you plan on making audio your profession, it’s probably a good idea to start learning one of the more professional packages such as Pro Tools, Cubase, Ableton, etc., but it’s expensive. if you are up to learning it, Reaper is exceptional.

Profile photo of DanZ
    DanZ
    Participant

My MIXTOOLS software is still the easiest πŸ™‚ And you can do multitrack soundcheck with it too !!!

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

DanZ, I don’t doubt what you say, but what can you do with the recording once you’ve made it?

Profile photo of DanZ
    DanZ
    Participant

You can replay them with MIXTROOLS or you can use the individual wav tracks put inside the rec folder (up to 32), and you can then drag and drop them to any DAW

Profile photo of perri meracelli
    perri meracelli
    Participant

cAN i USE MY ALLEN HEATH QU 32 MIXER ON a LInux system ? I am really feed up with this crap Windows… more and more buggy, and seem to care only about pushing xBox and other uselss garbage for children. This Microsoftr puch- poliscy is making me sick !!

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Core audio – just works

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.