Qu-24 Fader calibration with DAW

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration Qu-24 Fader calibration with DAW

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of roland6670 roland6670 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of roland6670
    roland6670
    Participant

Hi!

I’m using a Qu-24 with Ableton Live 11 Suite, and the DAW-Integration works fine, except on thing.

The DAW shows fader position at 0db and the fader position on the mixer is at +8db.

When I move the faders on the DAW or in the mixer the behavior is all the same.

Is there a way to calibrate the fader position in custom mode so that the position of the fader in the DAW represents the position on the mixer and vice versa?

regards,
    Roland

Profile photo of Sam
    Sam
    Participant

I have this question too.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

Sounds like a DAW issue.

could Ableton be allowing some extra headroom?

Does it matter on the boot order or the initial Qu fader settings when you boot the DAW?
    Do you get different results with different trim settings?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

That’s a setting in Ableton I think
    since we never had that problem with other DAW

roland6670
    Participant

No, It does not matter what position the faders have on initialization. The result is always the same.

Is there a custom setting in Ableton Live?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Is there a custom setting in Ableton Live?

I don’t know, but we had it successful working on an Ableton Live 9
    and I don’t remember what we did…

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

still sounds like a DAW problem

what did ableton change from v9 to v11?

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi All,

The fader position is either sent to the Qu core (when controlling internal channels) or straight out as a CC value (when using channel strips assigned to MIDI on the Custom Layer).
    When controlling the Qu, the position is effectively translated to a dB value which matches the artwork, but when sending MIDI, it’s just a value from 0 – 127 (0x00 – 0x7F).
    CC messages are then translated to either standard MCU or HUI control messages when using A&H MIDI Control for DAW Control.

I believe Ableton goes up to +6dB (and perhaps Logic too), so the maximum physical fader position will translate to +6dB rather than the +10dB you would get when controlling Qu channels.

So there is no ‘proper’ link between artwork and MIDI value, it just so happens that some DAW’s use a similar fader scale.

If you were only using the Qu for DAW control, you could alter this on a hardware level by intentionally calibrating the faders (incorrectly) to match the values in your DAW, but of course this would just move the problem as control of the Qu channels would be off in the opposite direction.

Cheers,
    Keith.

roland6670
    Participant

Thank You Keith!

This means for me, that I have to deal with this inaccuracy. It is not a big problem, but I was hoping to find a solution for a perfect studio environment.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.