QU-16 vs. QU-Pac

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-16 vs. QU-Pac

This topic contains 50 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jake
    Jake
    Participant

@mervaka

“Adding preamps does not give you extra DSP horsepower. The Qu-Pac has 32 channels of DSP horsepower, but only 16 preamps.

Similarly, it does not give you extra busses and output processing, only extra output sockets that you can route to an output processor of your choice.”

Is that a reference to the stage boxes like the AB168?

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Yes. It just provides extra input sockets with preamps and output sockets to which you can route to/from a fixed amount of input/output processing.

Profile photo of David Haughton
    David Haughton
    Keymaster

@jakemckown
    Hi Jake, I did say that Qu-Pac has Qu-32’s DSP Core and is able to expand using AudioRacks, not specifically AB168, but also AR84 and AR2412 too. This means that I can expand Qu-Pac from to a maximum of 32(mic)in and 24 out, as with Qu-32.

This tutorial video I created a few months ago explains working with Qu-Pac’s touchscreen including the Channel Screen, Custom Layer and Qu-Control Screen: https://youtu.be/t0kCfYwjxxc

Hope this helps and have a good weekend all!
    Harry.

Profile photo of Jake
    Jake
    Participant

Hi Harry,

That was in response to this portion of your post, “Hi All, one important thing that may have been missed here is Qu-Pac’s Qu-32 Core.
    With an added AB168 you have expand to 32 mic pres and 24 outs!”

Your contributions are most helpful.

Thanks,
    Jake

Profile photo of Jake
    Jake
    Participant

Hi All,

At last night’s gig I tried a couple of experiments. I put the QU-16 on stage without a table. I left my router inside of the rack case, instead of placing it on top of the case. The rack and case we upstage and stage right… So the router was blocked by an additional wall in two directions. In the hall my connection was great. The hall has a pesky neighbor so I often cross the street and use a SPL meter app to check sound level at her curb. I made it across the street but lost connection about 40′ short of her place, so the router placement did effect the range just a bit. I’ll have to try again in the previous location on the table with it in the case and on stage behind the wall to see which affects it more. I’ll let you know. The point of course is to create a setup that is as close to plug and play as possible with the least amount of steps that is still reliable.

Thanks again for everyone’s input.

Jake

PS At this point I’m thinking that if I switch to the QU-Pac I’ll get a shallow 6U rack for the QU-Pac, my wireless mic setup and the voltage regulator. This should leave half a rack space for the wifi router to go beside the Senneiser wireless mic receiver unit.

Profile photo of audiokla
    audiokla
    Participant

Thank you Jake for your experiences

audiokla
    Participant

so, I think I will sell my Q-16 (if I get a good price) an buy me a QU-Pac

Profile photo of Jake
    Jake
    Participant

Hi Klaus,

I’m thinking the same thing.

On the product/features list I’d like to see a stage box that competed the QU-Pac perfectly. With 16 in and 12 outs. For my purposes I’d like it in a rack configuration, so it would be a new product probably called the AR1612. The AR2412 does this now but gives us 8 more ins, so I think it’s unlikely. And let’s face it, 24 in and 16 out makes for an awesome stage box.

Can anybody think of a circumstance where you would want the QU-Pac at a table and a stage/rack box near the musicians? Recording with a DAW, perhaps?

Thanks for your input everyone.

PS on Friday I spoke to some dance organizers for a dance up north and they are in the market for a mixer. They loved what can be done on the iPad with QU-pad, but we’re afraid that their pool of techs might not all be comfortable with a digital board. The QU-16 came to mind as a solution with a reasonable learning curve. Any thoughts?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Regarding workflow the only difference between QuXX and QuPac+Pad is, that on QuXX you have physical knobs and faders while they are pure virtual on the QuPad (ignoring the few physical things on the QuPac).
    Learning curve regarding signal flow, group/mix/matrix use, recording with QuDrive/DAW, connectivity to stageboxes etc. is 100% identical.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I have an AR2412 which (so far) has given me all I need from a stage box.
    With the box near the drums, the 24 inputs can be patched as I want on the Qu-Pac (including the stereo inputs), with a couple of outputs to monitors. The Qu-Pac is then usually just behind a PA stack, with vocals & any other front line inputs, and most of the outputs for PA.

David Haughton
    Keymaster

@jakemckown apologies Jake this was an error, I meant to say with AR2412 you can expand Qu-Pac from 16 in 12 out, to 32 in 24 out!
    (I’ve corrected the original post).
    Cheers.
    Harry.

audiokla
    Participant

@harry A&H:
    What do you mean with:

You could even set up a very simple but powerful mix interface using Qu-Control if necessary!

David Haughton
    Keymaster

Hi Klaus, as per my post to Jake (#53880)
    This tutorial video I created a few months ago explains working with Qu-Pac’s touchscreen including the Channel Screen, Custom Layer and Qu-Control Screen: https://youtu.be/t0kCfYwjxxc

It’s worth experimenting with. I have set up a basic monitor mix setup across the 5 tabs before, it’s not just for zone mixing / routing applications!

HTH.

Cheers.
    Harry.

Profile photo of Jake
    Jake
    Participant

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the clarification in #53932. I’d be happy to edit my posts as well but im not sure I know how or have that option.

Jake

Profile photo of PointMan
    PointMan
    Participant

We’re interested in the Qu-Pac as well, but we’re new to A&H products and layout. Newbie question: What do you guys use the ST1 and ST2 INs for? What about the Alt out and 2TRK out? Can you connect a Sub using the Alt out?

Regarding the Stereo Mix outs, does it allow panning?

Thanks all!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.