Please add -20db pad to all channels

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Please add -20db pad to all channels

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

Subject says it…

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

For a meaningful pad, that would require a hardware change. Why on earth would you want a software pad?

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

Ok. So make it a hardware pad if the software can’t control that well. I’m not aware of a topic limitation to software only on this forum. I’d love to see a programmable scribble strip, too.

I know full well that hardware feature suggestions would not affect current units. I don’t know how they have implemented the input gain control.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

A pad is there to attenuate the signal before it hits any active circuitry which can saturate and clip the signal. Do you currently have gain structuring problems (due to hot signals) where the preamp gain knob bottoms out? If not, then I don’t see the problem.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

My guess is it is not a part of the QU architecture but because it is on the AR2412 as part of GLD that they put that in when you are taking inputs via DSnake. Would guess that being the case it cannot be implemented in software only. Maybe. But I figure if it could be it would have been. That said. I think it was a bad oversight.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

The preamp is a padless design… that describes the problem

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yes, that’s how it looks like according to the system block diagram in the Qu-16 user guide (page 37).

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

mervaka is right. A pad is only useful when the signal is too hot.
    The max input level on the Qu-16 XLR sockets is +19dBu, which should be enough for both mic and line level signals.
    If extra attenuation is needed then the TRS sockets offer +29dBu max input level, effectively an integrated pad.

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

Thank you, Nicola,

I appreciate the information!

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

hey Nicola the feature you are discribing is around here called the Mackie-Pad… 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.