PAFL on Individual Channels

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions PAFL on Individual Channels

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Doug Doug 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Doug
    Doug
    Participant

I’m looking for confirmation on the use of the PAFL buttons. It appears that the PAFL Button (i.e. ability to listen to a specific channel with headphones) is only valid when the LR Mix is selected. The PAFL for individual channels appears NOT to be usable for mixes other than the LR Mix. However, the PAFL on the Master channel does seem to follow the Mixes.
    This does not seem to be very clear in the documentation, and I discovered this while trying to listen to a particular instrument input on a channel in a mix (7-8) that was going to a streaming computer. Unfortunately there was no need to run the instrument through the LR Mix as it had enough volume and breadth that it did not need any further volume / mixing in the room. So the fader in the LR mix was at min.
    Am I missing a setting or is this how the PAFL is designed. If so, it seems to be a waste especially when doing multiple mixes.

Thanks
    Doug

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

Page 61 of the refernce manual there is the pafl settings explaned.

The input afl has to set off.

Richard

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@doug

the documentation was written as an engineers reference not a genuine users manual

you can listen to any channel on the headphones or any mix or combinations
    you do have to select the mix and also pafl

we send out mix78 to the pc for livestreaming and adjust everything in it separately as well as a total mix for OBS to process

like Showtime noted – read the manual but then
    look at one of the many videos that explain things more how to do things
    than the manual does which is mostly stating that it can be done

Profile photo of Doug
    Doug
    Participant

UPDATE:
    I ran a series of tests based on the comments. The key elements seem to be AFL output and AFL input. the other settings didn’t seem to do much.
    With the AFL Input turned off, I heard the input by channel (channel PAFL selected) however the fader had no impact, regardless of mix selected, but I was able to hear the input as what seemed as pre fader / pre-PEQ (I may be off on the pre-PEQ, wasn’t able to really determine any changes when adjusting). when I selected the Master and adjusted the fader for a specific channel, the fader impacted the output. The comments seemed to imply that I can set the PAFL to a given mix and subsequently any applicable channel. I have yet to experience that. It seems that I can do that (adjust faders and impact sound) only when I’m in the LR mix. Every other mix is either dependent on the LR settings for a channel or the channel faders have no effect.
    What I want is to be able to hear a single channel volume/FX in the headphones for a given mix – not just the LR mix. I’ve read the documentation and looked at the video, and they do not directly address this as far as I can see.
    thanks
    Doug

volounteer
    Participant

@doug

Not sure what the problem is you are describing. Exactly what is it you are trying to DO?
    Look at the block diagram. Lower right side and see pfl and afl coming out.
    See the pafl bus. See what goes into the bus.
    Trace back to see where those come from.
    You have to select what will come out the mix.
    You set up the mix separately.
    No mix is dependent on LR settings. Except that they also contain channel inputs that also go to the LR out.

Did you set afl and pfl on the main layer?
    Did you push the mix button?
    Did you then push the pafl button? Which one did you push?
    You should hear just that mix.
    Then use the faders and you can change what goes into the mix and hear it on the phones to verify you did change that channel.

If you just want to listen to one channel then you have to select that channel.
    But you only hear that channel then, not the mix as it is now deselected.

Profile photo of Doug
    Doug
    Participant

Ok. Guess I wasn’t clear. Audio PAFL settings:
    Input AFL off
    Mix 7-8 selected.
    Channel 6 PAFL selected. regardless of mix selected, same volume / sound heard,
    however, faders had no effect.
    Master fader selected in each mix, channel faders affected volume in headphones.
    What I am trying to achieve is to hear a specific channel in a given mix in the headphones as I adjust the faders -i.e. channels 2-7 in Mix 7-8 independently via PAFL in the headphones. I would expect that when I select Mix 7-8 and then channel 5 PAFL, I can hear the change in sound as I adjust the fader. Unable to achieve that!
    When I select the Master PAFL, then the channel fader has an affect! But at the Channel PAFL, no affect.

volounteer
    Participant

afaik you cant hear channel separately with the mix selected
    you need to select that channel to hear what it is doing
    else you select the mix and move that channel fader to see how it changes in the mix

volounteer
    Participant

What is Pafl on a mixer? Pre/After Fader Listen.
    This allows you to hear a particular channel via the headphone output. You can bind a softkey to clearing any PAFL selected channels so that you can hear the final mix. It’s essentially a solo button, but only via the headphone out.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What I am trying to achieve is to hear a specific channel in a given mix in the headphones as I adjust the faders -i.e. channels 2-7 in Mix 7-8 independently via PAFL in the headphones. I would expect that when I select Mix 7-8 and then channel 5 PAFL, I can hear the change in sound as I adjust the fader. Unable to achieve that!

I think your pushing too many buttons. If you just want to hear the changes with in a mix in your headphones you just need need to hit PAFL on the selected mix not on the channels.

volounteer
    Participant

@doug

you can listen to one channel OR
    you can listen to the mix and see how moving a given channel’s faders changes the mix

MikeC may have stated it clearer than I did earlier,
    you cannot push both pafls and do what you want to do

select the mix and move the faders for the channel of interest to see how the mix changes
    pretty sure that is exactly what I said before

do NOT select the pafl for one channel unless you just want to listen to that as solo
    do NOT push both channel and mix and expect to get what you say you want

Profile photo of Doug
    Doug
    Participant

@volunteer & @chris,
    Thank you for your input.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.