Noise from preamp/fader ?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Noise from preamp/fader ?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of peterzoetermeer
    peterzoetermeer
    Participant

Hi,

Is just a post maybe it will help me 🙂 I have a question,
    I plug my microphone into the Channel one, this wireless mic , it normally has a noise, but the channel is also have noise, and together you still have quite a noise when you turn the fader up, is not audible over speakers but over headphones you can here it , I always put my faders loud because the headphone output is not very loud and its not so good/warm and powerful as my Dynacord CMS1000, I give the fader just a little more on the sq5, I understand that is normal that’s give more noise , but is there possibly or no solution or something I could look at? to minimize that noise? and my next question is that because of the preamps? is that of e.g. the d-live less noise? and last the headphone out You like it? I don’t like the output of the headphone out its thin!

Greets Peter

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

Any chance you have the pad engaged on that channel? SQ pres are pretty quiet otherwise.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

The SQ consoles has a different mic preamp than the DLive. However if you use a DX or GX stagebox with the SQ, those stage boxes use the same mic preamp as the DLive. I cannot answer whether or not these is a big difference in the noise floor between the two different types however as I don’t have enough personal experience with the SQ console.

I will say that if you turn the “DLive” preamp up far enough, you will still hear floor noise through a set of headphones. However if I have to turn the pre up that loud during an actual event/show, it is usually because the gain staging is wrong on the input end of the signal chain – ie the output of whatever device I am plugging into the mic preamp is putting out too low of a signal. I suspect this is the case here too. Check your wireless mic settings and make sure it’s output is as high as possible and nothing is accidentally lowering the output of the device. Also as u/nottooloud suggested, make sure the mic preamp itself doesn’t have it’s pad engaged.

Please note that my experience is with the “normal” DLive mic preamps. I have not used the “Prime” Preamps but they are suppose to have lower noise floors than the regular DLive preamps.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Set two channels exactly the same everywhere with in the channel strip and compare the two.
    Does turning down the channel gain/trim change the noise?
    Do you have the same noise with a dynamic plugged into the same channel?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.