Newby digital user: Recommended practice for subs routing and fade

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Newby digital user: Recommended practice for subs routing and fade

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of coppo coppo 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of coppo
    coppo
    Participant

Hi

Church setup with several leader talking mikes and a band setup that is anything from just piano to keys, bass guitars lots of vocals.

Just got an SQ6 as an upgrade from our old yamaha analogue desk and I have a question re subs.

I was planning on using an aux mix as subs with one or two selected post fade channels going to this aux. On the old analogue desk we did something similar but the mains and sub fader (actually a rotary) had to be kept roughly in sync as there was no link. (Eg we decide to drop the house overall sound level but it suddenly becomes bass heavy until you remember to drop the subs by the same fraction.) We didn’t have enough groups to just drop the music alone so cheated by using the main fader – eg during communion where the music becomes more background.

I was wondering about assigning the main fader to a DCA – controlling main L&R output and the sub aux.
    Is this a good way to do this?
    Are there any other suggested setups to do the same sort of thing? I looked at matrices but couldn’t see any advantages – as well as they seem to be designed to split a mix – eg L&R in different directiosn with basic processing applied.

(Historically we don;t allow all inputs to go to mains & subs splitting on EQ alone. Our physical setup makes that awkward but keeping control of feedback was the show stopper.- eg a vocalist taking a rest during a short gap – went to sit actually on the sub. Although the bass was rolled off the mike that was too close a proximity and thunder ensued.)

Loving the SQ6 so far but have found a couple of weird operational quirks I have reported to A&H.
    Coppo

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.