Increase mixable channels

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Increase mixable channels

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 4 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of fbuk
    fbuk
    Participant

Why is the SQ7 limited to 48 input channels to mix with? It seems more than capable of handling more. It has 32 Xlr inputs on the desk and with the Dante stage boxes can easily access double this, however only 48 can be used.

Profile photo of SQuser
    SQuser
    Participant

Its not limited – the entire SQ series from A&H was developed for exactly 48 channels and can therefore not handle more.
    I’m grateful to A&H for having so many channels in such a small “entry-level” desk.
    If you need more, you also have to invest more.
    Maybe an Avantis could be a solution for your 64 channels.

Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

Gotta say, if I were running a show that had more than 48 inputs, I would not be looking at an A&H SQ in any case. It’s just not that mixer.

48 channels? That’s a boatload of channels.

D.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Why is the SQ7 limited to 48 input channels to mix with? It seems more than capable of handling more. It has 32 Xlr inputs on the desk and with the Dante stage boxes can easily access double this, however only 48 can be used.

Because it is impossible to build a system that is perfect for every situation, especially at this price point. In other words, A&H can only offer so many features at each price point which is why they have designed and sell different systems with different feature sets. It’s up to the purchaser to plan out their current and potential future mixing needs and ensure they purchase a system that will meet their needs. If you need to mix more than 48 channels, then an Avantis (64 mixable inputs) or the DLive (128 mixable inputs) would be a more appropriate solution.

I mean I understand wanting “champagne tastes” on a “beer budget”, but you can only push this so far. Eventually you are simply going to have to step up and purchase a more expensive system if you need the features of a bigger system.

Profile photo of Visound
    Visound
    Participant

Pro tip… You can mix an additional stereo inputs by assigning physical inputs to the group mix inputs. I used up all 48 mono last year for a band and then needed DJ stereo input, my own playback and an MC mic. I was mixing 53 channels of audio! Pretty slick desks. I’m always finding little work arounds with them.

Before I had all 3 DX168s, I got 17 mic pres out of my SQ5 on stage by routing talk back preamp to a processing channel. Plenty of other desk don’t allow this.

Profile photo of Simon2
    Simon2
    Participant

For us 48 channels are enough (for the forseeable future 😉 😉 ).

But this topic lead us to peeking over the fence at the Behringer Wing, which also has ‘only’ 48 channels but each of them could be stereo.
    In general the SQ is the better console for us, but not having stereo signals consuming TWO channels would be a very strong upgrade – and maybe not messing up the product strategy….

Profile photo of Simon2
    Simon2
    Participant

P.S.: AND the ‘stereo needs just one channel’ approach would be consistent with the AUX/Groups – which also can be stereo without eating up more channels. 😉

Profile photo of SQuser
    SQuser
    Participant

>> the entire SQ series from A&H was developed for exactly 48 channels and can therefore not handle more.
    > but not having stereo signals consuming TWO channels would be a very strong upgrad
    For a stereo input you need about twice the processing power as for a mono one.
    That’s why you can’t just say, I’ll just turn 48 channels into 96.

> the ‘stereo needs just one channel’ approach would be consistent with the AUX/Groups – which also can be stereo without eating up more channels.
    The console was also developed for these 24 AUX/Groups.
    It is a feature that these can be switched to 12 mono if required – not the other way around.

Profile photo of Simon2
    Simon2
    Participant

> For a stereo input you need about twice the processing power as for a mono one.

I’m not sure about that because a lot of attributes are simply copied (processing, routing, ….). I don’t say, it doesn’t have any footprint but i doubt it to be the same size as supporting 96 channels.

> The console was also developed for these 24 AUX/Groups.
    My point was: This is not a completely new concept to the console and A&H obviously knows how to implement it. 😉

@processing power: Line6 (e.g.) demonstrates on the Helix, how to expand a LOT of functionality, range, features, … on an even older (and probably cheaper) hardware platform – just by clever programming and redesign.
    It’s no witchcraft but a question of willingness and effort.

Sure – there is no entitlement for customers to this kind of enhancement. But good product management always helps also the supplier.

Profile photo of SQuser
    SQuser
    Participant

> I don’t say, it doesn’t have any footprint but i doubt it to be the same size as supporting 96 channels
    Of course, we don’t know the details of the SQ’s structures and reserves.
    For example, the question is: Is the same 2-channel compressor used (wasted) in each mono channel as in a stereo channel?
    Or can SQ only compress its current maximum of 24 stereo channels?
    Only A&H know something like that – but they won’t tell us. )

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The creative ways to squeeze a few extra channels has already been mentioned.
    If you find yourself always doing that then maybe look at the next level of mixer.

That said if you find yourself sometimes coming up a few channels short look at the inputs your using and get creative….do you need two mics on the snare and or kick drum, do you need a mic on the bass gtr cabinet and a direct line, if the drummer has a lot toms maybe Y the first two mic together. With the above NO ONE in the audience would notice!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.