New to the Rode NT5

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions New to the Rode NT5

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of psikes psikes 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of psikes
    psikes
    Participant

Good Morning from the Pacific Northwest. I just picked up a matched set of Rode NT5 microphones for recording mostly acoustic and resonator guitar and wanted to see if there was any hints or kinks out there in regard to these mics. I did a search on the forum and only came up with one mention of the NT5. Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Phil

Profile photo of psikes
    psikes
    Participant

Forgot to mention that I will be using these on my Qu-Pac.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I think they are just a typical small-diaphragm cardioid condenser microphone. So phantom power is required obviously, but I don’t think there are any “gotchas” regarding them.

Profile photo of psikes
    psikes
    Participant

Thanks Brian, so far so good with the NT5’s and my Qu-Pac. I simply set the eq flat, turned on phantom power and they are recording pretty well for acoustic and resophonic guitar. I am recording to Reaper but have also recorded to my external hard drive with similar results.

Profile photo of AntonQU
    AntonQU
    Participant

I use two Rode NT5 mics for live performance drum overheads and they are very good, they pick up all the cymbals and toms well, they are sensitive and have a wide spread of sound-source capture; I use them on choirs as well. On a guitar, one NT5 would tend to capture all of the sound at a distance of say 12 to 18 inches from the sound-hole. If using two NT5 mics put them together in an X position (i.e. cross them over) about 12 inches away from the guitar in line with the body where the neck joins it and point on towards the fretboard and the other towards the sound hole. What does also work well (for recording, not live) is to put something like a Shure SM57 pointed at the fretboard around the 15th fret area and about 6 inches away, then use one NT5 at about 18-24 inches away in line with where the sound-hole is (or would be on a Resonator!). Make sure that your mics don’t end up with out of phase sound in production, try flipping one or other of the signals when mixing to see if it improves or worsens the sound quality. In terms of EQ on your QU desk or in your DAW, add a bit more bass and mid to the NT5 signal source and keep the SM57 flat.

Profile photo of psikes
    psikes
    Participant

Thanks for the input Anton. So far I have tried them in X-Y. A/B and ORTF positions and to my ear the X-Y is sounding best so far. I have also used them in conjunction with the Fishman Nashville pickup in the reso for sweetening up the mix and it sounded really nice with that combination.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.