Moving Multitracks from QU-16 to SQ5 ?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Moving Multitracks from QU-16 to SQ5 ?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dancour2
    Dancour2
    Participant

I want to read some mutitracks from an QU-16 on my new SQ5?
    I read this article: https://support.allen-heath.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4402940122001-SQ-Re-Rendering-Files-for-SQ-Drive-Multitrack-Playback
    Anyone find an easier way to do this?
    Is it usually successful?

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@dancour2

With Qu and SQ files, you should not need to completely re-render them as described in that article.
    You will need to ensure they’re correctly named and in the right folder structure however.

The easiest way to do that is to make a brief recording (of nothing) on the SQ, then you can see and copy the SQ-Drive multitrack folder structure along with the file naming to create a new ‘fake’ SQ-Drive recording using files copied over from your Qu-Drive.

(Don’t forget to ensure the SQ USB is set to 48kHz and SQ-Drive mode)

Cheers!
    Keith.

Profile photo of Dancour2
    Dancour2
    Participant

I did as you said, Keith. I first recorded 5 dummy multitracks on the SQ5. I then opened the files and pasted my copied QU-16 wav files on top of the SQ5 wav files – using “replace existing files.” It worked well but I did noticed that I was bringing over 18 files from the QU-16 and the SQ5 folders, that I had just made, had only 16 files each. The extra 2 files were probably the Left and Right recordings from the Qu-16. My multitracks played perfectly. I’ll have to figure out what to do with those 2 extra files tomorrow. Thanks again!!

PS I see this new SQ5 is encouraging me to buy some plugins. 🙂

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@dancour2

Though very similar, there are some differences between Qu-Drive and SQ-Drive:
    Qu-Drive always records 18x 48kHz WAVs for multitrack, this derives from the Qu-16 where it was originally designed to record all mono channels plus LR by default, although you can patch/record any channels.
    SQ-Drive can record up to 16x 96kHz or 32x 48kHz WAVs, it will only record USB output sockets which are patched and is fully patchable.

Glad to hear you got it all working! 🙂

Thanks,
    Keith

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.