MIC Pre Vs. Instrument Inputs

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions MIC Pre Vs. Instrument Inputs

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dr.E
    Dr.E
    Participant

While I know the right answer to my question. . .use XLR mic pre QU16 inputs via high quality D.I. (like Radial J48) for electronic keyboards etc., would be the way to go. . . I am at a church with no D.I.’s (yet).

The Question for A&H Techs
    How much of a difference is there between the sound clarity / quality of using the 1/4″ channel inputs for A Yamaha Motif XF6 keyboard (current practice – 20 ft. instrument cable), versus using the XLR / Mic Pre inputs via a high=quality D.I. (like the Radial J48 D.I.?

Profile photo of JimmyB
    JimmyB
    Participant

At 20’ you may or may not get better sound quality. Depends how electronically “noisy” the surrounding area is.

Profile photo of SRD
    SRD
    Participant

There is no advantage to using the XLR inputs over the TRS inputs. They both feed the same preamp circuit after the usual pads/Z optimisation. TRS is better for line level output like your keyboards. Plus no decoupling cap for the phantom power on the line level side so there should be an even more impressive THD spec.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

There is no advantage to using the XLR inputs over the TRS inputs. They both feed the same preamp circuit after the usual pads/Z optimisation. TRS is better for line level output like your keyboards. Plus no decoupling cap for the phantom power on the line level side so there should be an even more impressive THD spec.

this is only true if you use symetrical connections
    but I guess most instrument cables are unsymetrical

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@DrE

Depends. XLR is generally better. If you do not have a DI your device may work well with the TSR. But since you do not have a DI yet go ahead and try it and see.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.