Master Fader Gain for Sub Mix?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Master Fader Gain for Sub Mix?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of unclejemima unclejemima 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of unclejemima
    unclejemima
    Participant

Trying not to create multiple posts for the same topic 😉

We have our front of house/main mix, and a sub mix (mix 5) for our live stream that is sent out via Usb-b.

Right now our front of house/main mix levels are good with our master fader at or near 0.

When in our mix-5 for the live stream, the master fader is pegged to the top and still we need to add healthy gain in our streaming app in order to get good levels for the stream.

To cheat this, I went into the mix-5 master through the channel select and through there is no gain knob for a master fader (I thought there might be because it’s a sub-mix) I just brought up the EQ levels for that mix 5 master fader by around 6-7db for the whole EQ range as a round-about way of adding gain to the mix 5.

I know this is probably not ideal…and curious if there is a proper way to get more levels out of our sub-mix for the stream.

Thanks!

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Another work around would be the make up gain of the compressor- some compression may help too.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

first of all you should add more volume to your sends… and you can send your mix 5 to a matrix and add some more volume with the matrix master (that route would give you 20dB extra gain)

When in our mix-5 for the live stream, the master fader is pegged to the top and still we need to add healthy gain in our streaming app in order to get good levels for the stream.

that indicates that your gain staging is not ideal…

Profile photo of unclejemima
    unclejemima
    Participant

Good tips, thank you guys!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.