Mac to create wireless network

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Mac to create wireless network

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dancing Brook Dancing Brook 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dancing Brook
    Dancing Brook
    Participant

Does anyone know how to use your Mac to connect to QU device via Ethernet and create a private WiFi network?

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Edit – my initial posts disappeared when I tried to make a edit for spelling…..

First, you cannot create a private Wi-Fi network without a Wi-Fi wireless access point. Neither the console or the computer have this ability. Therefore you’ll need to add an additional piece of network equipment for this to work. Most commonly people use an “all in one” router/switch/Wi-Fi access point. This accomplishes many things. First, the device can act as a DHCP server for your little network. This means you won’t have to manually assign IP addresses to each device, but can set everything to “DHCP” and then let the router assign those addresses automatically. This will make setting up and connecting devices to your network MUCH easier.
    Second, the device will allow you to set up a private Wi-Fi network with a custom SSID name and password. Do not bother trying to “hide” the network. It doesn’t actually improve security and it just makes the network harder to use.

I would suggest something from the GL.iNet brand. I have a GL-SFT1200 (Opal) travel router that works really well. It’s usually less than $40 on Amazon. They have more expensive models that offer more options, but I doubt you would need to use them given your knowledge level. The coolest feature of these devices is that you can connect to a facilities Wi-Fi network with the device, while also establishing your own private Wi-Fi network as well. The devices on your private Wi-Fi network will have access to the internet through the facility’s Wi-Fi network (assuming the facility has internet access).

Profile photo of Hoody
    Hoody
    Participant

If you use an iPad to control your QU I suggest for the older iPad a lightning camera adaptor with a RJ45 (LAN) socket. This allows you to connect your iPad to the AP/router if the wireless fails for any reason. (I have a QU SB which has no manual faders or controls.

You can also get a Bluetooth adapter to put in the headphone socket then you are able with shorter ranges to listen in when you solo a channel remotely from an iPad or the like when using the QU pad app.

Profile photo of Dancing Brook
    Dancing Brook
    Participant

Just to clarify, in fact you could use a Mac to create a Network, but that feature has disappeared from view on the latest OS (still might be there but not as easy as it once was.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.