Line Level over XLR

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Line Level over XLR

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Gary Gary 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Gary
    Gary
    Participant

Hello SQ people. This is my first post, and I’m wondering if there’s a way to set the XLR inputs to line level. Is this automatically detected? Is this reflected in the mixers GUI? I wish this console had the XLR-1/4″ Combo jacks for line level signals. I’m using an external 24 track recorder.

Thanks,

Gary

Profile photo of peterlanders
    peterlanders
    Participant

As far as I can tell it just handles it. Engage the pad if the signal comes in particularly hot.

That said, Iā€™m pretty much using DIs for 1/4ā€ stuff anyway.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

The A to D converters are expecting line level already, the preamp is just there to boost any lower level signals up to that line level, and the pad is there to attenuate signals that are coming in above that. Use as much or as little gain as you need.

Chris

Profile photo of Gary
    Gary
    Participant

On my Presonus Studiolive 32, when you plug a 1/4″ cable into the combo jack, it switches to a line input and bypasses the mic pre altogether. I was hoping for the same functionality.

Profile photo of Flo84
    Flo84
    Participant

Hi Gary,
    It’s a different way on SQ…there are not 1/4″ jack on XLR input sockets(combo). Only “Stereo inputs” sockets on the mixer are 1/4″jacks.
    šŸ˜‰

Profile photo of Gary
    Gary
    Participant

Hahaha…yes…I knew that before I bought it. I was more looking for a setting in the GUI. I just got a AR2412 and will use it as an insert I/O to the recorder and back. The inserts can be set to line level and I’ll be able to use the pre’s on the console. Thanks for the help you guys šŸ™‚

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.