I am beside myself

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions I am beside myself

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of robbocurry robbocurry 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I can not believe after the 1.6 update that only one iPad can control the main mix.
    Yes, multiple iPhones can control mixes, but only one iPad can log in to the router.

While I am setting up monitors and mains, my other engineer uses his iPad to see the main mix so he knows what channel the mics patch into….. and I use mine for monitor mixes etc. (well with the Mackie that is)
    he doesn’t have to constantly ask me … what channel is the sax in?

Still only one iPad can be used.
    Unbelievable, why can’t this work like the Mackie DL1608 mixer?

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I should have said,, only one i-device can use the QU-Pad app. 🙁

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

This isn’t a Mackie…
    The Qu-You can, I think, display the configured names.

Of course you could use your iPad with Qu-You, rather than Qu-Pad… Then you’ve got the mixer and a bonus method for editing mixes, He’s got the iPad.

Particularly for setup you could just print out a patch list… (/me ducks)

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Print?

Who takes a printer to a gig?

Pen & paper for this job sherley?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Who goes to a gig without a patch-list already worked out?

(Yes I have to do this sometimes, but generally my patchlist is preplanned)

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I too always set up the board before I show up at the job.

Bob,
    my disenchantment with the way “multiple iPads” has been designed in V1.6 with the QU is that only one QU Pad app can be used at a time.

I know it’s not a Mackie, I have one of those too, and it is so cheap, but is so smoking hot at so many things in comparison to,,, we’ll,,,,

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I just don’t understand why A&H would not allow us to use multiple iPads with the QU app,
    not the QU-YOU which is very nice, but it is useless for viewing mains.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Sit and wait. If it were impossible, I’m sure we would have been told. Maybe, just maybe, what you’re asking for is a tall order, regardless of whether mixer XYZ has it.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I suspect it just wasn’t thought about at design, so it will need interesting changes to the architecture…

They also need to make sure it wprks…

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

I’m sure you have many other uses for multiple QU-pad users than simply a digital channel list…as mentioned above, the QU-You app will give you channel information if patching is your primary concern. But I can understand why A&H overlooked this particular scenario as the main application for multiple iOS device users. I would recommend filing your feature request separately and explain your intent. Up until now, I haven’t seen your particular scenario well-represented in the feature thread. It seems reasonable that QU-You was never intended to address your problem.

The majority of QU users have requested multiple iPad functionality for the purpose of controlling stage monitors/IEMs. I think A&H did a fair job addressing this need with the QU-You. It balances the need for personal monitor control while protecting the engineer’s house mix. In fact, I hope it will become available for the GLD series as well.

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

I see your point Dan as I always like at least a couple of iPads running for my DL.
    Though with proper faders and a display already on the actual QU mixers, I can see why they’ve taken the QU-You route.
    I think QU-You is a great addition and I’m honestly a bit surprised considering the company makes and has invested in the ME system….
    In that regard, I’m feeling very lucky:)

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

all good points everyone!

I shall indeed put a good description of my request on the “QU feature suggestions” page.
    That’s what I will do 🙂

I do love the iPhone app for musicians controlling their monitor mix.

very nice A&H!

Profile photo of FISH
    FISH
    Participant

I own a small sound company and we have owned 6 Presonus(16.4&24.4) for several years, I have now replaced them all with Qu’s, I love the board,but the Presonus multiple foh ipad feature was a great asset when training techs. They could watch what I was doing on another ipad or at the end of their training I could watch what they were doing, also if I had a complicated show with a lot of sound cues, I could set up one ipad on eq and keep the other on foh etc. I hope A&H is listening.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I popped briefly into a pub gig a couple of weeks ago. Didn’t stay long, as the band were pretty awful, but that’s not the point! The sound bloke had made himself a nice stand/frame to hold 3 iPads. At the time I was watching him he seemed to have main mix on one, meters on another, and I think, a monitor mix on the third. I believe the mixer was an X32 Rack.

I want to do that to!

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

id certainly like to have monitors on a second screen…

Read only is fine for that application…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.