Help avoiding admin lockout

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting Help avoiding admin lockout

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of EdH EdH 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jamie_c
    jamie_c
    Participant

Brand new to the forum, but I have searched to see if I can find a similar topic and haven’t seen it.

We recently replaced a failed GLD-112 with an SQ7, and spent quite a lot of time getting inputs routed/mapped and mixed appropriately for our church auditorium. During the week after our first Sunday using the new board, we configured a limited user account without a password, and then set a very simple admin password, not for security as much as just a “reminder” to sound booth volunteers that they needed to use their account rather than admin. After setting the password, we were able to log in a few times with it, and knew it worked.

Upon arrival the following Sunday, entering the password failed to log in. As I said, we’d made it simple, and knew it worked, so we were pretty certain it wasn’t just a forgotten/mistyped password, but still it failed. That was problem one. Problem two was much more daunting, however, as there wasn’t any option to log in as the non-password-protected “volunteer” user. We had nothing but the Admin login presented, no “switch user” or any other options. After searching online for a solution, and finding no guidance, we reluctantly performed a reset, losing much of our configuration as we didn’t have it stored to an external device.

So I’m here looking for guidance or suggestions. We want to protect the “deeper” settings of the board, and won’t repeat the folly of not saving the configuration/scenes externally, but if we set an admin password and the people who know the admin password aren’t available for a service, how can the non-passworded user log in? If a similar “glitch” (won’t call it a bug yet) occurs in which the admin password fails, how do we recover without a hard reset?

Is there a setting somewhere within the board to display a user list upon boot that we haven’t found yet?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

It almost sounds as if someone did a factory reset before you.

After you get your board all configured, do a backup of a show file to a USB. This will make it much quicker getting your settings back should any problems occur requiring a reset.

Profile photo of EdH
    EdH
    Participant

It’s really worth backing up the “show” settings. But that’s kind of annoying after the fact..
    In a church setting with a whole range of users, I have found the User setup very helpful. Perhaps this will be useful. I set up several “users” levels which represented different levels of permissions according to usage & ability. I also have 2x Admin logins with full access & named ones for a school ect.I then created scenes for each user as required – several scenes if necessary. An important issue is whether to use a “default” scene at login for a given user & also whether you will allow any saving of changes made in a scene. That could be any change at all. However, if power is lost, or the mixer is switched off, then it will revert back to the default scene. That can be a disadvantage. My recall may not be exact on this, but it’s worth testing around this. In a church setting, I got around the password issue as I saw that passwords conrolled access better. I therefore included the password within the name of the “user” – standard – advanced ect That way they would not forget but equally, scene access would be controlled. In my setting, most problems caused would be accidental rather then deliberate missue. OK so there is the one person who can wreck a good mix… With no saving in that scene then at least it’s gone for the next service… I have found that user level cotrols in a church setting are most m useful to allow users with little knowledge to get results – they don’t need to fear “touching the wrong thing”.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.