Group Processing routed to Multiple Mixes

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Group Processing routed to Multiple Mixes

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 1 year ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of natable
    natable
    Participant

How should I configure my SQ-5 for the following use?

I want to apply PEQ, FX (De-esser), and Compression to a group of vocalist and make this available to multiple mixes (main LR and a livestream Aux).

The current setup is Vocalist inputs are Assigned to a Group and unassigned from the LR & Aux mixes. PEQ, compression and De-esser are set/inserted to the Group. However, only the LR Main mix can set the group blend. The Aux mix cannot create a separate blend of the vocalist. I presume that if either user adjusted the fader blend in the Group mix, the faders would be changed in the LR mix.

One method would be identical Groups (with identical compression, PEQ & FX). However, the Aux mix requires 2 mix selects to operate – the Aux mix for non-vocalists, but operator must switch to the Group mix to blend the vocals for the Aux mix. I haven’t tested it, but I expect that if the same collection of faders are assigned to 2 groups, that the blend will be the same for each.

Is this just a limitation? Should the LR mix be considered a master mix and the Aux mix only receives the LR’s Group blend?

Can I gang and apply common PEQ, Compression, and De-Essing to the gang?

My real limitation is I don’t want to use most of the FX slots for input-specific de-essers. I’d like to apply De-essing to a set of vocalists, but create a different blend for LR vs Aux.

Thanks.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

You could use a matrix mix for the live send.

One input to the matrix would be the vocal group, the other input
    would the aux mix of the instruments.

The vocal group would still routed to the main LR mix.

You’ll most likely find that the vocal mix for the mains will work for the live stream, the instrument inputs aux mix should be set to post fade, on the aux send levels make needed adjustments to compensate for the instruments in the live stream mix, if the input sources stay the same they will track along then with the main mix.

If you only have one sound operator they really can not effectively live mix both the mains and live stream at the same time.

Profile photo of natable
    natable
    Participant

Thanks Mike. I think you’re right, the LR vocal group mix will be good enough for the live stream.
    I could just assign the vocal group to the live stream Aux, then add compression to the Aux mix for a consistent output.
    What’s the advantage of the matrix? Is the matrix recommended because when post fader, it better automates the live stream mix? Is it better practice to keep the Aux mix of instruments isolated?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Using a matrix mix would give place to balance the overall vocal mix with the instrument aux mix.
    Using a post fade aux mix for the instruments once that is set for a proper balance for live stream it may not need to change much.

Actively live mixing the audio for live stream ramps up the set up and personnel needs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.