GLD LCR Setup

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions GLD LCR Setup

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Maybe I am missing something here. I want to setup an LCR configuration that allows any input to be mixed to the LR buss at a different level than the C buss. From what I can tell, if you set the configuration for any of the 3 choices for this, LCR, LCR+MSum, LCRM they all seem similar. The LC and M are linked so what level you set on the LR is reflected in the M or C. I am putting together a couple of LCR systems. One is using a center cluster for primary(pastor, vocals, etc. with accompanying music, but I want the music, tracks choir etc to be more stereo. In this one case the church has an existing LR system that is decent but the new renovation extends the platform area way in front and moving them forward was going to be a difficult thing due to the architecture where they need to be. So they decided they would like a center cluster but this makes me have to go mono which as a long time recording engineer kills me to have to do. Most all my systems now are stereo. So, I wanted to retain their old cabinets and feed tracks, stereo instruments(and others), reverbs to create a stereo field wrapped around the center cluster. I know I could do this with an Aux or even use a Matrix for the center or something like that. It just seems that the config should allow for that M to be a different mix.

Am I off base on this? or just not seeing it? I am looking at it on the editor not on the console itself, but it appears that is how it works.

Anyone done this???

Profile photo of Pit Lenz
    Pit Lenz
    Participant

Hello GCumbee,
    You`re not off base on that.
    LCR is basically used to spread the same mix across more than two speaker sources. Coming from analog desks, the Mono button would also only assign the same mix signal to another bus, be it the center between L/R or their additional sum. If you want different mixes, you will indeed have to go Aux or Matrix.

On GLD I also used Mono for a center cluster in the beginning but quickly went away from that for two reasons:
    1- No different mixes (as you mentioned)
    2- Much more important: Mono loses you one mix buss. As GLD busses are always assigned in pairs (like you cant open up any odd number of Auxes), choosing Mono simply drops its adjacent second bus and you`ll end up with a total max of 19!
    Since 20 Busses seem plenty at first sight, I almost always run out of busses when feeding monitors, use GRPs to send to different MTX mixes for L/R-main PA, nearfills, center, balcony delay and Rec feed.

I can easily live with 20 fully processed outputs but would LOVE to see more GRPs available (at the cost of no OP processing) to be able to feed more different mixes.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I understand. This would be simple if they would just allow that mono or C buss to have a different mix. Will put this into a feature request. Thanks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.