Gain assistant doesn't stop

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ troubleshooting Gain assistant doesn't stop

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mandel Mandel 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

I’ve been trying to use the gain assistant with a mic input.

The gain keeps on increasing way past feedback level. Is there something I’m doing wrong? Does the feedback assistant need to be calibrated first?

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@robert

Generally, you would set gain before sending level to any outputs (using send faders) so you won’t run into any issues with feedback.
    Note that feedback will actually prevent the Auto Set function from working correctly, as it will be trying to get the feedback (and not the intended source) up to the right level!
    Once the gain is set (using the Gain Assistant or manually) you can then turn up send levels and/or output levels.

You can also, once gains are set, use the Feedback Assistant as described in the user guide – https://www.allen-heath.com/media/CQ_User_Guide_V1_1_0_iss1.pdf#page=42&zoom=auto,-361,555

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

So you’re supposed to use the gain assistant with the outputs muted?

Profile photo of willmodelisme
    willmodelisme
    Participant

For best practice yes.
    Fortunately with digital consoles those times doing “one two check check…” loud into the PA are over.
    You can achieve it even with just the selected input muted.

Profile photo of SALC
    SALC
    Participant

Just got the 18T. My gain assist is not working at all. on every channel. Sometime it will go you 1db and stop.

When I set the gain manually the channel works fine.

Also channels 2 & 14, using the same mic and gain settings, outputs to Logic Pro much louder that all other channels.

Profile photo of morrisar
    morrisar
    Participant

Salc … I had a similar issue with gain assist. I found that if the signal from the mic/d.i. is very weak or low the gain assist doesn’t work. Happened with our bass player trying out a new d.i. Once he turned the gain up on his D.I. a little bit, then gain assist worked fine. Maybe that helps?

not sure about channels 2 & 14 being louder… strange… Wish you luck!

Profile photo of Mandel
    Mandel
    Participant

@salc I also happened not to like the Gain Assistant it seems to be too low. My question is, how would I set the gain manually, there is no peak light, do I just have to make sure that the light doesn’t hit the top of the bars too Frequently? (It’s not so convenient to have to keep on going back to the screen of each channel gain, to watch out from peaking)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.