Firmware 1.6.0

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Firmware 1.6.0

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hugh Hugh 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ChrisLA1
    ChrisLA1
    Participant

Is there any plan for a future feature release on the SQ line? For context, the last feature release was in April 2020.
    Should we consider the SQ to be “maintenance only” in terms of updates?

Profile photo of Das
    Das
    Participant

A&H stays pretty tight lipped about new products, and updates. I’ve pressed my rep about SQ updates, and possible new Dante stage boxes, with zero luck. He’s in the dark too. Not counting on any major firmware updates

Really like my SQ, yet as more and more manufacturers release 96k Dante products I may look elsewhere when it comes time to upgrade. Mixing and matching audio network transport formats just doesn’t make sense for the bigger picture down the road

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

I am eagerly waiting for a bugfix for a problem which damages the file system on USB drives when storing shows and/or writing Multitrack Recordings and leads to data loss of show files…

Profile photo of Jos
    Jos
    Participant

I’m definitely keeping my fingers crossed on this one, buoyed by the fact that we’re still seeing maintenance releases and the fact that A&H have mentioned various features they’d “like to bring to SQ” (such as simultaneous USB drive/cable use). My dream is a 1.6 firmware release with massively upgraded scene management and simultaneous USB usage, but I’m very much considering that a pipe dream at the moment. 🙂

Profile photo of SQuser
    SQuser
    Participant

… and with massively upgraded USB usage.
    For example, playing common audio formats with any name via SQ Drive.

Profile photo of ChrisLA1
    ChrisLA1
    Participant

It’s only recently that I upgraded from a Qu-16 to the SQ-5. Love it. So many more possibilities. After using the SQ a couple months, it just seems to me that there are a number of low-hanging fruits that could be added to the SQ line relatively easily. I’m unsure if this is the right place, so I’ll offer these suggestions.

• Display output port on channel strip LCD. It now shows “N/A”. Quite useful to debug issues in a live situation
    • Add channel processing options for FX Return. I really miss the compressor and the ability to duck FX when another channel needs to cut through. Also we EQ FX for the same reasons we EQ other channels 🙂
    • Offer L+R as an output for mono FOH mixing in the I/O patching screens. Why waste a Matrix and add complexity? The QU does that perfectly… Alternatively, allow LR to be Mono or Stereo in the Mix config screen.
    • Metronome in signal generator. There are so many examples to draw inspiration from (DAWs, etc.). It would be terrific if there were a small library of sounds for the downbeats and on-beats.
    • A user exchange of library setups. No FPGA or CPU programing at all there, simply some web stuff. It might be a great way to invigorate the online A&H user community
    • Auto pickup of DAW channel names when connected to DAW (that’s a nice-to have!)
    Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

It’s not just the SQ missing these releases either. SQ at 3 years is the longest, but it’s been over 2 years for DLive, and until the Solo was released, the last Avantis feature release was 18 months ago. The Nov “feature” release for Avantis really only brought a few minor changes – primarily support for the Solo. Other than that, it seems like a very small “feature” release and I doubt it would have been released when it was except for the needed support of the new unit. (I mean one dPack plugin addition and a few GUI changes isn’t exactly a feature rich release).

This is pure speculation on my part, but I have to assume that the R&D team has been working overtime with all of their recent “big projects” like the redesign of the Dante cards, the release of the CQ, and the release of the Avantis Solo. I also have to assume they are in the weeds redesigning the Waves cards right now too. I don’t think it is too big a stretch to think these projects have prevented the team from being able to focus on feature releases for their current models.

I’m hoping that as these big projects are finishing up, we will see more R&D spent on improving the existing products through feature releases.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

I agree with Brian’s assessment of A&H’s firmware up-dates. It is pretty clear to me their business model is to expand perceived market demands with hardware options and expanded processing by releasing new lines or newer versions within each product line. For example, the new CQ line when compared to the SQ line, their previous entry level desk, has an obvious entry level feature list with fixed I/O limitations.
    The new Avantis Solo has a 25% bigger footprint & 40% more weight than the SQ5 I currently use. But the Solo offers a fully assignable 48 buss design and a 64 channel capacity with only 12 faders and a huge screen with all of A&H’s processing goodies.
    I have spent the last month weighing the pros and cons for the new Solo with my work flow needs. Un fortunately there is no optional provision for substituting the standard Avantis I/O’s with Primes and it is highly unlikely I would ever need the greatly enhanced processing or expanded channel count. Given the fact that I am able to routinely deploy a DX168 for live gigs and my DX32 loaded with prime I/O’s in the studio and the FPGA processing quality is exactly the same as my SQ5: I am better off with the SQ5 I have enjoyed for more than 4 years, even with out a boatload of firmware up-dates. If the Solo offered 8 Prime I/Os internally I would buy it in a heart beat. The price point is not an issue, I spent 6K for the DX32 and with the SQ5 price point it puts me right in the Solo price point range. The Prime up grade would probably add another 2K but I would not be wasting 4K on the Digico DX32 housing. Unfortunately at this point it is apparent to me the only way to use prime I/Os is to stay with the Digico 4K dog house that I have, so I am very thankful for my SQ5 and all it can do for me as it is!
    Hugh

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

I am sorry about the typo, The Solo is a 64 channel, 42 bus design, not 48 bus.
    Hugh

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.