external boutique mic pres in the studio

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions external boutique mic pres in the studio

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of highwaystar79
    highwaystar79
    Participant

Hi,

I am using the QU24 for my studio. Since the QU24 for does not have any ADAT inputs like the ZED R16. whats the best way to attach an external boutique mic preamp digitally to record into the daw. Would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Only possible way would be USB and I don’t know of any software or interface for that matter that is available to make that happen.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

not possible, QU series has no digital inputs at the moment
    maybe we will see a stagebox with AES or ADAT in the future

but I doubt it

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

ADAT stagebox isn’t a terrible idea, but it doesn’t gain an awful lot (since you still need the preamps onsite).

The market would be very small, since the main ADAT interface would have been studio based, so either run a dSnake or USB depending on the connectivity required.

Profile photo of highwaystar79
    highwaystar79
    Participant

Thankyou all for the replies. So I guess the only way to use an external mic pré is to use the analog line inputs! AH should not advertise qu series as a studio console! It does not have complete functionality like the ZED R16 from a studio point of view!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

well hold on…
    if you are in a studio scenario you are recording into your computer [direct] being a MAC or PC
    Both of those have alternative inputs and then you monitor back through your QU mixer…
    So depending on your software thats how I record in a MAC running Elcapitan.
    As Geroge said you would require a device that out-puts either USB / Fire wire / Thunderbolt or whatever connection?
    Get an adat interface thats to connect and monitor back through your QU desk?
    The QU range has a lot more other features that can be more suited to a studio.. to name one “RECALL within the desk settings”. Another… motorised faders.
    I have ‘botique valve mics’ and botique valve compressors…
    The QU for the price point works very well.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

The intelligent consumer would carefully examine a prospective purchase to make sure the product under consideration offered all the requisite features and capabilities prior to purchase. This would not take a lot of time and would obviate the need to go on the Internet and gripe about an entirely avoidable disappointment.

But I believe xyz has the right idea. Give it a try.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

but anyaway, the QU is not an professional studio desk it’s a home studio desk

digital inputs, other sample rates and the absence of a real monitoring section are the most noticable restrictions
    but if you can live without that…

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

It comes back to it is what it is. It’s really a PA console that just happens to have some recording features. Not the other way around. Up till 2012 I had been in the pro recording industry since the 70’s. I still a Nashville commercial studio but have it on a lease purchase plan. If I were looking it would be the last console I would consider. It would be any number of others. That said I sell a bunch of QUs. But for PA use. Sure you can use it in home recording though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.