DCA affecting monitors

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions DCA affecting monitors

This topic contains 26 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of pete.j pete.j 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tpaulding
    tpaulding
    Participant

Nicola you definitely understand my position. Thanks.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

That makes more sense. A lot of confusion in this thread.
    However, Muting a channel by activating a DCA mute is very non-standard. A DCA as I said is a remote control for the channel faders, basically, so muting a DCA should be equivalent to pulling those assigned faders all the way down, not turning the channel off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

I can think very few uses of DCA mute not muting prefade auxes. In most situations that is a nightmare.

ddff

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I can think very few uses of DCA mute not muting prefade auxes. In most situations that is a nightmare.

ddff

That’s what mute groups are for, not DCA mutes.

Profile photo of bolupona
    bolupona
    Participant

I stand corrected!

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

I think most of us come from analog world- haven’t seen a desk where VCA mute would not mute assigned channels. It is not that difficult to pull fader down if you need pre-fade auxes to work.

ddff

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

I find it better if the channels are completely muted, when a DCA mute ist activated.
    it is only one asks to the approach
    but if there was a choice, every wishes covered.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I think most of us come from analog world- haven’t seen a desk where VCA mute would not mute assigned channels. It is not that difficult to pull fader down if you need pre-fade auxes to work.

ddff

Haven’t seen that. Standard DCA mute is exactly the same as pulling the DCA fader to off, not turning the channels off.
    However, on the Yamahas, you can choose Post-Only (Default) or Pre & Post (similar to muting the channel)
    [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170318/824b9d5a12c1010ba1141ac21ac995e3.jpg[/IMG]

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I guess Tapatalk image links don’t work…

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

yamaha… very good example 🙂
    they have consoles build where the chanel mute button does not mute the pre fader auxes
    a nightmare with replugging condenser microphones
    they do sometimes something different

to mute the channel completly with DCA mute is common sense

this changes in the last time with modern digital desks
    but on most of them it is switchable

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

By saying analog I ment all kinds of Soundcraft, Heritage, XL, ATI… Yamaha is well known for messing up things- matrix (mix from mixes) now accepts input as well, mute works in strange way. I heard the X32/M32 also has this DCA behaviour.

ddff

Profile photo of pete.j
    pete.j
    Participant

+1 – working half of my live analog the other digital – VCA (analog) and DCA (digital) Mute alawys muted the assigned channel (therefore the pre-aux and post-aux). Pulling down VCA is like pulling down fader, pressing mute on VCA is like pressing mute on corresponding channel, and it was one all brands I used (Soundcraft, Crest, Midas, Yamaha, DiGiCo, A&H, Innovation, ….).

So, it might be a nice feature to have the choice (even useless for me), but it’s more common as it is now in the dLive. If moving DCA fader will alter a pre-fader send, then it’ll be a bug, but I never experienced this so far.

BUT: As a feature request (and that’s special to digital consoles, but also already implemented in Soundcraft Vi and DigiCo) for doing Monitors I’d love to see the “DCA-to-Mon” feature, so I could f.e. pull down Drums in a InEar mix with the DCA rather than pulling down 8-12 faders.

Cheers

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.