Connecting A Keyboard to Qu-16

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Connecting A Keyboard to Qu-16

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Crowndog Crowndog 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Crowndog
    Crowndog
    Participant

Hey guys, I have a question,
    We have a new keyboardist joining our band, he uses a Nord Stage 2 keyboard which I believe has unbalanced quarter inch outputs. I know I can connect to the qu16 using ordinary jack cables into 2x line ins, but if I want to use a stage box, will that matter? The keys will connect to the stage box via a quarter inch jack to xlr cable, but the other end of the stage box will plug into 2 x mic inputs on the desk (via the stage box snake). I could always buy 2 really long normal jack to jack cables to run from the keys to the desk (the desk is only side of stage) would this cause a problem? I’m trying to avoid having to buy a stereo DI if I can, but if I have to get one, I will.
    Thanks, Troy.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’d use a DI – it’s not much more expensive than the longer cables, and reduces the chance of interference being picked up…

If the jacks are actually balanced then a short adaptor cable will let you keep all of your long runs as XLR for convenience.

Just reread, and you are talking about an analogue stage box… just get a DI – even relatively low cost ones will save an awful lot of effort…

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

2x yes:
    According to the Nord Stage Manual the outputs are line level and unbalanced.
    Use a DI to a) isolate stage ground from Qu ground, b) adapt for mic level and impedance expected on Qu side and c) use your analog snake.

Profile photo of Crowndog
    Crowndog
    Participant

Thanks guys,
    Looks like I’ll get the DI

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.