Confused with FX

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Confused with FX

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Harle000
    Harle000
    Participant

Hi, (BIG Newbie). I seem to be confused re FX. I have set up 4 input channels. 1&2 are inputs from an AX8 (guitar). 3 is bass, 4 and 5 are vox. FOH (using a single speaker for practice) is OUT L, Aux 1 out goes via Snake return to Drummer. Aux 7&8 is to Shure IEM Transmitter and 9&10 are to studio monitors.
    FX1 set to Reverb (Mix>return> (FX1) and FX2 set to Delay (mix>return) (Mix(9&10).
    So:
    1. I can get every input sound to FOH
    2. Select FX1 (Channel layer ON, Master Fader SEL on) I can get FX1 applied to all selected channels through FOH

3. Now MIX 9&10 selected, Channel 1&2 & 4 (vox) faders up. Guitar and voice heard through Monitor speakers (NO FX1)
    4. I now want to apply FX2 just channel 4 (voice) for monitors only. I keep hearing the FX2 applied to FOH as well as monitors.

I’d really appreciate a simple step through set of examples.
    Thanks
    H

Harle000
    Participant

Sorry should have said this is a QU16.
    H

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Turn down FX2 return on LR should help (or unassign FX2 from LR)…

Harle000
    Participant

Thanks Andreas,
    What steps do I take to ‘Unassign’ from LR, and only send FX2 to MIX 9&10?
    Thanks
    H

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Page 22 of the manual should help.

On the desk, select Main Mix – hold the “Assign” key, press “Select” key of FX2 return.

Or in the App, there’s an “On” button above the slider, which needs switching off for L+R for that return.

But if you’re running your monitor mixes pre-fade (which is normal), just pulling the fader down for FX2 > Main, should do the trick.

Harle000
    Participant

Many Thanks for the info, but I’m, afraid I’m even more confused now.
    I started again (reset board).
    I have in Master Fader the SEL & LR led on. Channel layer selected.Faders 1&2 (from AX8) up, as well as vox on 3 & 4.
    FX1=Reverb (Mix->Return) (FX1)
    FX2=Delay (Mix-Return) (FX2)
    Out to LR
    Aux out 9&10 to monitors.

I want FX1 on Vox channel 3 to FOH
    I want FX2 on Vox channel 4 to Monitors not foh
    I want guitar on channels 1 & 2 with no FX to both FOH and monitors.

So with starting from Master Strip SEL & LR with faders on:
    1. I press FX1 (all faders set at 0) I set master fader & channel 4 fader up – I hear FX1 applied only FOH.
    2. I select MIX 9&10. faders up for channels 1,2 &3. I hear all in monitors ( as well as Vox 4 with FX1 in FOH)
    3. I select FX2. increase Fader 3. Change FX2 to (Mix>Return) (Mix 9-10). I now have Channel 3 with FX2 in Monitor and FOH

4. (I think as per your instructions) Select Master Strip SEL (This has been on all the time) and LR selected now still with Channel layer selected I press assign key (all SEL light up) and I press SEL key to FX2 Ret. Now when I press Assigh key all SEL light up except FX2 Rtn.

I still hear channel 3 with delay in FOH?
    Sorry I’m just really rather confused.
    H

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Select the top of the three layers, then select LR, and look at the FX return faders.

Harle000
    Participant

Thanks Bob. Our ‘Sound man’ quit and I’m trying to fill his boots. Watched all the videos, read the manual. I can now just about spell ‘QU16’.
    H

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

That’s fine, see if you can find someone local to help you get started.

I’d rather train a musician to mix than a techie.

Harle000
    Participant

Thanks [XAP]Bob,
    I’ll do just that, must be a local Church or venue with knowledge of Allen and Heath mixers.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Probably not actually – any mixer knowledge is good enough (though digital is probably marginally preferred).

The exact mechanics of each desk might be slightly different, but the principles are the same throughout. The QU series is particularly easy to jump to from an analogue system.

Harle000
    Participant

Many Thanks. That helps a lot in helping me identify where I can get help. I think there are one or two ‘mini studios’ here in town.
    H

Profile photo of joel77
    joel77
    Participant

Where are you located Hugh?

Harle000
    Participant

Hi Joel77,
    I’m suffering life in Sebastopol, CA. The weather, music, wine etc is just too much for a simple man. But I’ll take the hit for everyone else. 🙂

Profile photo of joel77
    joel77
    Participant

I’m going to be in your part of the world next week, Hugh. My wife is from Sacramento and we love visiting San Francisco. Haven’t been in 3 years, so we decided it was time for another trip. For a rural Nebraska boy, I (surprisingly to me, at least) find SF an amazing place. The culture changes almost block to block! The architecture is beautiful. Love hanging out on the bay and just people watch.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with your question. Just got me thinking.

Joel
    Glaser Audio Productions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.