Change IP Direct Out default to Post Preamp

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions Change IP Direct Out default to Post Preamp

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dcongdon dcongdon 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bob Briessinck
    Bob Briessinck
    Participant

Hi!
    I’d like to have the option to set the IP Direct Out to Post Preamp by default, across all (new) show files. Whenever I prep a new show this is the last thing I check for and often end up recording a show with the direct out set to Post Delay.
    I get it, I should check everything, but with a console that is so versatile this is one of the things that often gets overlooked, with bummed artists (and myself) as result.

Yes, I should use virtual soundcheck record send for recording purposes, but I can not send MIX direct outs while using record send, as I use a stereo matrix to record the LR as well as multitracks.
    Yes, there is a workaround where you can send the matrix to the input of a stereo channel and then have that channel send out its signal to the virtual soundcheck record send, but isn’t this even more unnecessary work than to check the direct out point each time I make a new show from scratch? Not to mention the risk of an internal feedback loop if this channel is accidentally assigned to the LR, which is assigned to the matrix, which is …

Additionally! The input direct out send is post preamp but pre polarity! Mighty inconvenient when doing a virtual soundcheck. I also don’t see the point of it being post polarity, besides that it is ‘post preamp’ as in preamp tab, not as in the actual preamp/AD converter.

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

Just create your own start file!
    No manufacturer can build a start file that suits everyones needs, no? I have start files for every desk I regularly use 🤷‍♂️

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

I am all for adding more Direct Out pick points (and independent pick points!), but I have to disagree with the rest of the OP’s requests. Tie Lines provide the best pick option for pre-processing. Direct outs should default to something other than what Tie-lines already offer. I can see an argument for that being post EQ instead of Delay, but that’s about it.

I also do NOT want polarity baked into a direct out feed. That should stay with channel processing on the way back in.

I can empathize with the amount of time it takes to fully program a dlive system (especially inserts)…but I agree with RS that you need to build a base showfile that you start from.

Cheers!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.