Basic multi-track recording question

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Basic multi-track recording question

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mns1 mns1 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mns1
    mns1
    Participant

I purchased A QU-16 a few weeks ago and its purchase was to replace a KORG D888 multitrack recorder. I have tried to use the QU-drive multi-track recording feature but I can’t seem to be able to record a new track while listening to a track previously recorded. I know this is not the unit’s intended purpose, by I would like to know if I can record tracks then record new tracks while playing back previously recorded tracks using QU-drive. Having read through the discussions on this site, I know there will be a wave of eye-rolls. Sorry folks. New here.

Profile photo of Victor Kennedy
    Victor Kennedy
    Participant

I’m pretty sure that’s not possible.

I’m a newbie also with the QU16 and did my first QuDrive recording on Sunday…3 of us going in Live @ rehearsal.

In order to playback the multitrack QuDrive session you need to make the ‘source’ for the tracks you recorded as USB, not Local. Even though we only recorded Bass, 2 Guitars, and a stereo feed from my Korg Kronos, QuDrive does in fact treat this as an 18 Track session, and can only playback those 18 tracks (unrecorded ones are treated as dummies).

You can’t then go and record / overdub as you would in a DAW.
    Also, if you want to ‘import’ tracks recorded outside of QuDrive, to playback in a new Qu Multitrack session, you need to make sure there are all 18 tracks. By this I mean that if you only have eg: 8 recorde tracks, you need to make dummy tracks for the other 10 in order to have a session playback in QuDrive.

As yet I haven’t tried just doing a 2 Track Stereo QuDrive recording, but that should be easy enough.

Bear in mind that a multitrack QuD session doesn’t record the FX per channel, but if they’re still turned on, WILL apply those FX when you playback straight after recording.

My next task is to figure out the best way to be able to monitor the Stereo out from ProTools (ie Master Out) and also monitor ‘Live’ inputs that are going Into PT for tracking sessions…as in How To have PT playing back into ST1 (17-18 from PT) and also be able to hear the instruments / vocals that we are overdubbing.

So many layers, so many scenes…so powerful yet so easy to forget which layer had what selected.

Profile photo of mns1
    mns1
    Participant

Thank you for your response, Victor. This is what I expected. It wouldn’t have taken much for A&H to deliver on this functionality, and given the deep processing powers of the unit, this seems like a total oversight. All that would be needed would be to allow track selection on the QU-drive rather than a global multi-track recording option. I have been using Qu-dive as the source for playback of previously recorded tracks, but when I try to record new tracks it creates a new file which obviously doesn’t play back the existing recorded tracks. what a pity. Back to Logic Pro X I go.

Victor Kennedy
    Participant

I’d say the best way to do what you want is to create a new Session / Song in your DAW (I use ProTools mostly) then import the tracks that were recorded using QuDrive into that DAW session.

I’ve done this with the couple of jams that I’ve recorded into QuDrive and they loaded up without a problem, and in fact sound great even without any FX or treatment within PT as yet.

It will depend on your DAW as to how you transfer these tracks. You can then delete them from your dedicated USB Drive/HDD that you use for QuDrive, unless you really need to keep them for playback in QuDrive. I wouldn’t keep them unless I need them for that purpose. Best to keep a dedicated USB for QuDrive.

You do need to individually name each track within the DAW because the A+H file format just saves them with a Number system.

Once setup in the DAW you’ll then be able to overdub endlessly.

Victor Kennedy
    Participant

PS:

I haven’t actuall overdubbed to these tracks with PT yet, but that shouldn’t be a problem.

See Nocola H’s comment in this post for overdubbing methods etc. It’s quite a way down on this forum topic…https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/qu-16-simultaneous-playback-while-usb-streaming-into-daw

Profile photo of mns1
    mns1
    Participant

Thank you so very much, Victor! This is really helpful. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out (and possibly other newbies like me, who might have the same question).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.