AVB-Card

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Dave 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of -vh-
    -vh-
    Participant

We have recently had a set of an S7000/DM64 in storage and it would be a dream to be able to buy an AVB card as well as various Dante cards. For me, an AVB output card with e.g. 24 channels would be enough…
    This would have the advantage that we could connect all L-Acoustics amps (LA12X, LA4X) and the P1 wonderfully… A dream and a feature that the Japanese do not (yet) offer 🙂

Please think about it!

Best regards!

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

Presonus has a dante to avb converter.

P1 is the idea to use with aes input.

Richard

Profile photo of -vh-
    -vh-
    Participant

I need 96khz avb…

And if possible without via dante.

But your presonus ist better than nothing. Thank you!

Showtime
    Participant

Auvitran has a modulair solution to do this is 96 khz

Profile photo of -vh-
    -vh-
    Participant

i would like a solution without detour via dante, the fastest possible signal flow and fewer sources of error.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

We are looking with interest at AVB. There is still some confusion on what AVB actually means. It’s not a protocol really, more like a set of standards for hardware. There is no guarantee of cross-vendor compatibility, just because a device supports AVB it doesn’t mean it can talk to another AVB device. Presonus, Motu and others use IEEE1722 for audio transport, but again, cross-vendor connections are for the tech-savvy and brave-hearted!

MILAN is addressing the problem with a common layer for device discovery and connection management. That is probably the direction we would take with a new I/O card, if the demand is there to justify the development.

Profile photo of -vh-
    -vh-
    Participant

For every user of l-Acoustics amplifiers it would be very interesting… probably not only for dlive users, but also for Avantis, SQ etc…

Showtime
    Participant

It’s more the problem l’acoustics is ignoring the dante world.

The avb/milan options are small compaired with dante.

When la4x and la12x was developed there was almost nothing with avb.

Profile photo of Dnaiel
    Dnaiel
    Participant

Allen&Heath produced already plenty of incompatible proprietary Ethernet Standards, Dante is only one more proprietary Standard added (obviously holding the monopoly currently). We have seen 10+ proprietary Ethernet Standards rise and fade already.
    Imagine the advantages if they had used the only Standard produced by the makers of Ethernet itself, the IEEE. AVB is only backed by a few companies, but all of them are 100% behind it. And it’s open. And now that it’s improved as TSN for the factories, it will be ubiquitous soon.

Showtime
    Participant

Not only a&h has its owm protocol for remote control.

Music group aes50 is also not compatible to anything else.

Madi over cat roland reac.

It’s al about money and ownership.

In my opinion that l’acooustics don’t use dante is the fact that they don’t want to pay money to audinate.

Profile photo of bettho
    bettho
    Participant

hello, but what to do when you have 8 channels to connect to p1 and you only have 4 channels in AES ????

Profile photo of DocDocDocDoc
    DocDocDocDoc
    Participant

Dante is not really cross-manufacturer since all Dante hardware contains chips by Audinate. And Dante to my understanding does not define anything concerning gain control, thus manufacturers all have their own incompatible solutions again.

AES67 is likely to be a good option for the future, since it is a simpler standard and implemented in all recent Dante chips (but not in software such as Dante VIA and Dante Virtual Soundcard). Doesn’t feature gain control either. Which is somewhat flabbergasting, since it’s technically really not so hard compared to realtime audio transport.

Seeburg has recently introduced AES67 for their network-equipped active speakers. Makes sense to me. L-Acoustics has announced to go into the AES67 direction for their latest controller amp in May this year.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

L-Acoustics is using Milan.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Hopefully this will play out like cell phone charging cords. At first everyone had their own proprietary cord. Eventually the industry settled on a standard (USB-C) (well all except for Apple, but the EU will bring them into line).

It would be nice to see one universally accepted digital audio transmission method. I think we will get there eventually.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

It will not happen in the next 20 years I bet…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.