Audio out for a video (recording) feed

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Audio out for a video (recording) feed

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hugh Hugh 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BradG
    BradG
    Participant

Hi

Looked through the forums but can’t find this exact scenario I have been presented with, so here goes…
    (hoping it may be simple and my Monday fog brain is just missing it)

Mixing a theatre show using an SQ6 with:

– 17 cast mics (via XLR), 2 overhead mics + 2 ‘offstage’ wireless mics
    – Music/ SFX audio IN via the ST2 input, controlled by me with a soft rotary
    – FX sends/ returns (only 1 reverb used across the main leads) – Returns manually controlled with a Soft Rotary
    Theatremix controlling muting and unmuting of 8 x DCAs

I have had a request for an audio feed (either 2 XLRs or phone jack outs) to run to the guy who’s recording next weekend’s shows; which would be fine if he only wanted a plain LR mix, but of course he doesn’t – he has requested a feed consisting of:
    – one channel all of the mics
    – on the other channel ONLY the MX/SFX
    (he wants to be able to control the video mix of the mics and the music himself)

What’s the best way to do this?

I thought of sending all mic channels to one mix and the music to another mix (e.g. Mix 7 and 8 on the blue mix buttons RHS of the desk), but obviously I would want the mics output to be post-fader, otherwise he’d cop all of the open mics for the entire show.

And if I’m running DCAs, would using those above mixes work ‘live’? Would the mixes still get the right fader levels, with reverb, EQ, compression, etc?

Profile photo of SQuser
    SQuser
    Participant

> I thought of sending all mic channels to one mix and the music to another mix (e.g. Mix 7 and 8 on the blue mix buttons RHS of the desk)
    That would be a right way.

> but obviously I would want the mics output to be post-fader, otherwise he’d cop all of the open mics for the entire show.
    So you have to switch all channels Post Fader for these mixes and set all faders to 0 – including the FX return for Mix 7 if you want there the same dry to wet ratio.
    Keep in mind that the FX there is only mono therefore sounds different.

> And if I’m running DCAs, would using those above mixes work ‘live’? Would the mixes still get the right fader levels, with reverb, EQ, compression, etc?
    Since the DCA certainly only controls your microphone faders remotely, the same ratio should result for Mix 7.

Actually it would be better to record 3 stereo mixes: microphones, music/SFX and reverb.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

Run tie lines of the raw pre amp capture and he can post produce for his video recording as much as he wants with his own gear. In the event you are needed for the additional video mix, give him an estimate of your billing for this additional process.
    (chances are your best bet is to end your involvement with providing the raw pre amp output with a gain structure he finds acceptable)
    Hugh

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.