AR2412 mic pre's

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions AR2412 mic pre's

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Frank Frank 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Area52 Studio
    Area52 Studio
    Participant

Hi there!

Does anyone know what mic pres are in the Allen & Heath AR2412 stage box?
    Are they the same as in the QU series mixers?

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

I don’t know, but I would assume they are. They also have a pad setting for line/high level inputs.

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

The AR2412 stage box was originally designed for the GLD series, so they don’t use the same preamps as the Qu. As garyh has pointed out, the AR2412 preamps have a switchable Pad and accepts line level signals, where as the Qu has an XLR for mic level inputs and a TRS for line level inputs.

Thanks!
    Alex

Area52 Studio
    Participant

Alright. Thanks for the info.
    I have the QU-32 Chrome mixer in my home studio and to my ears the pre’s sound pretty good and neutral.
    I just wondered how the pre’s in the AR2412 compare, quality wise to the ones found on QU series mixers.
    Didn’t find any info about them on the net.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

“Alright. Thanks for the info.
    I have the QU-32 Chrome mixer in my home studio and to my ears the pre’s sound pretty good and neutral.
    I just wondered how the pre’s in the AR2412 compare, quality wise to the ones found on QU series mixers.
    Didn’t find any info about them on the net.”

As stated above the AR2412 was designed for the GLD, so you can rest assured that the pre’s in that stagebox are likely to be better than what is in the QU, so you shouldn’t have any problems.

🙂

Area52 Studio
    Participant

🙂

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

Could anybody explain, when I have to use the “pad” with the AR2412?
    With the QU 16 I didn’t have this.
    Is it correct to use the pad with microfones and no pad with keyboard, guitar, bass and drums?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Is it correct to use the pad with microfones and no pad with keyboard, guitar, bass and drums?

it depends… keyboards need some padding sometimes… guitars and bass only petting… 🙂

the pad lowers the input voltage to avoid clipping on very loud sources
    this could be a microphone as well, like condensers on snare

on the QU you would plug line level signals to the jack inputs

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

Ah, o.k., I understand. I have the the Nordstage in 2 XLR inputs linked and the gain there is good… don’t use the stereo line inputs for instruments.

So it seems, that I have to regain every channel after switching from QU16 preamps to the AR2412 preamps, because these are different preamps. And have to see for every channel, if I need pad or not… O.k., so we will need a short soundcheck again after switching to the AR2412… no problem…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.