allow GEQ (and NEQ) inserts on channels

Forums Forums Avantis Forums Avantis feature suggestions allow GEQ (and NEQ) inserts on channels

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Yvo Yvo 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Yvo
    Yvo
    Participant

Hi,

When trying to set up my vocal split channels, I noticed I couldn’t insert a graphic EQ on them.
    In stead, graphics are only available on outputs.
    Now I know the classic way of doing wedges is to have a graphic on the output to the wedge, but I always kind of found it a little overkill to ring out a vocal mic and then force the same notched curve upon every other signal you might want to send to that wedge. Of course it’s possible the same problematic frequencies coming from other instruments’ feeds to the wedge could set off the feedback, but since generally the vocal mic is loudest on the wedge by far and other instruments you send through there are generally much lower in level, I take that risk and I’ve met other engineers who do the same.

I’m sure there are other reasons to want to insert a GEQ on a channel so it would be a welcome addition if that functionality was added.

Thanks for taking it under advisement!

Profile photo of Duesenbert
    Duesenbert
    Participant

I see your thought process for sure, of only carving up what needs it. Also see the benefit of the NEQ on inputs in other scenarios as well.

You could create a mono group, set the input of the group to be your vocal preamp input. That way it can have a GEQ/NEQ on it, but can also be fed into an aux (your wedge mix).

Profile photo of Yvo
    Yvo
    Participant

I’ve had a little chat with Jack about this and it turns out this is not as easily done as you’d think, as it would mess up the delay compensation system.
    He also said that there seems to be a trend of engineers preferring parametrics over graphics for monitors.
    So he basically said he’d see a bigger chance of them adding bands to the channel PEQ then them adding insertable GEQs to the channels.
    Frankly, that would be ok with me toom preferably with an RTA option.
    What say you?

Profile photo of Duesenbert
    Duesenbert
    Participant

If you’re just using it as an “alt version” of a channel for a monitor mix though, would that latency difference matter?

I would definitely be down for more bands of PEQ, but curious how that would work with the 4 bands of physical control on the surface.

Profile photo of Yvo
    Yvo
    Participant

Indeed it probably wouldn’t matter.
    But I understand the desire of A&H to keep their latency compensation system as ‘no-brainer’ as possible.
    On one side, as a studio engineer I generally dislike developers putting ‘training wheels’ on their professional audio products, but in a live situation, that’s a different story. I’d like it to be as effortless as possible. The job is tricky enough as is, without any extra unnecessary brain cycles being required.

The question about mapping more to the physical pots is a fair point.
    I heard that even on the dLive, the new NEQ’s 12 bands can’t even be controlled via the dedicated PEQ pots. Apparently it’s quite cumbersome to manage on the touch screens.

I suppose on Avantis you could use the ‘pan’ pots of both screens. Perhaps with a soft key to switch between freq and Q?
    Or you could map gain and freq to the pan pots and out put the Q of the selected band on the touch and turn pot?
    I don’t know… these are ideas.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.