Adding Channels to Qu-Sb

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Adding Channels to Qu-Sb

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 6 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Okie
    Okie
    Participant

We have a Qu-SB and wanting to add more channels to it, confused as to what the AB-168 can and cannot do to add channels.

We use the Qu-Sb to record live jams into the multidrive and to a computer through USB and we sometimes need more than 16 channels. I do understand the multidrive can only do 16 channels at once, but can using the AB-168 add more channels through usb recording so that we have 1-16 qu-sb and 17-32 ab168?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Profile photo of Okie
    Okie
    Participant

I’m also confused because the manual says “dsnake inputs are mapped one to one to the Qu channels. They are not patchable”

Then it says “Any dsnake input can be patched to any channel using the setup/io patch/dsnake in screen. Sockets can be patched to more than one channel”

Sorry but I’m confused.

Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

I think it means that the inputs on the SB itself are hard wired to channels 1-16. If like me you have an AB168, you can then add then map thesw dSnake inputs to channel 17-32. You can also map the dSnake channels to 1-16, but this will restrict you to just 16 channels as the on board inputs can only be 1-16. I rarely need more than 16 inputs for my bands, but on my Qu Pac i have the dSnake inputs on 17-32 just in case i need more.

Profile photo of jakethepeg
    jakethepeg
    Participant

Regarding recording…

Qu has 32 sources in the USB patching screen – these can be inputs on the mixer or inputs from stage boxes connected via dSnake (outputs can also be used as sources).

Once you have selected the 32 sources, 1-18 are sent to the USB Hard drive, and 1-32 are sent to your computer via USB-B cable.

Hope this makes sense and helps,
    Jake.

Profile photo of Okie
    Okie
    Participant

Ok I think I got it now, thanks! I wish the manual would sometimes explain things a little bit better.

Profile photo of SCooo
    SCooo
    Participant

I have a qu-pac too and just tried setting up my AB168 last night and couldn’t get it to worked. I have the global setting set to USB and the AB168 on channels 17-32. However the manual also says that I should see a yellow usb symbol show up on the tool bar indicating that the AB168 is handshaking with the qu-pac. I used a cat5 Ethernet cable purchased through guitar center. They said it should work but my qu-pax doesn’t register the additional channels. Further more none of the red indicator lights are lit on the AB168 so I really can’t tell if it’s getting power.

Am I doing something wrong or is my unit DOA?

Thanks!

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

There is a blue signal light indicating power present. It is in the upper middle part of the front panel and labeled POWER.

Question:

Did you connect the AB168 into mains power? It does not receive power via the cat5 cable.

Profile photo of SCooo
    SCooo
    Participant

Hi Dick,

Never saw a blue indicator light on. I found it odd no lights were on at all. The main power is connected to a furmann power conditioner. I’ve plugged it into multiple sources and I have other modules plugged into the Furmanm that have no issue. The cat5 just goes to my dSnake input on the qupac. Tonight I’m going to try a different power cord. If that doesn’t work I’m going to try it on my qu-32 at home just to see what happens. If nothing then I’m returning it.

Thanks!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I’ve had one AB168 I sold have a power supply failure. No blue lights. Red are for phantom indication based on what channels are armed phantom.

Profile photo of Okie
    Okie
    Participant

Ok so we just got the AB168 in and we are having trouble getting it work as additional channels with our QU-SB.

The AB168 shows up and works if routing to channels 1-16 but won’t work anywhere else. When AB168 is routed to channels 1-16, the local channels on the SB (1-16) do not work and shows a big “X”. Even tried setting the local channels on the SB to dnake but to luck.

No matter what I do n/c comes up on channels 17-32 on the I/O patch.

Please help before I send this thing back.

Thanks.

Profile photo of Okie
    Okie
    Participant

Ok I did some searching, should I move the blue dots on channels 1-16 in the dsnake I/O patch to 17-32 n/c?

Then switch channel 1-16 on the source page to local and 17-32 to dsnake?

Sorry not at unit at this time but will try it.

I wish AH would release some videos on this type of setup for stupid people like myself.

Profile photo of Okie
    Okie
    Participant

Nevermind I just answered my own question, it’s working now, thanks.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

On the iPad IO patch set up screen the top horizontal row of numbers (main 1 ect.) refers to the inputs on the stage box. The vertical row of numbers to the left refers to the input channel on the mixer.

On the grid put the blue dot at the crosspoint of the desired stage box channel and the channel on the mixer where you want that stage box channel to appear.

Then on the input patching screen select the channel on the mixer you want to come from the stage box / d link as it’s labeled on the patch screen.

With the stage box patching if needed it is possible to patch one channel from the stage
    to multiple inputs on the mixer.

The stage box output patching is set up in the same way.

Profile photo of Okie
    Okie
    Participant

Thanks for the info Mike. I was getting confused in the I/O patching and thought the horizontal rows were local (1-16) then ab168 (17-32) when in reality there were all for the ab168, duh.

I still think AH needs to do a better job on the manuals or maybe some videos, like I said I’m not too bright.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I will admit that when you first see “main 1” and so on the top horizontal row
    the word “main” make you want to think it’s the mixer’s surface inputs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.