A / B out

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions A / B out

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of collider collider 2 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Gaston
    Gaston
    Participant

I am new to the SQ 6. My training of course was cut short by COVID and it has been two years since I have an an opportunity to work with the new sound desk. I spent two hours yesterday just working with it and learned the basics and can handle upcoming events without an issue. All trial and error. There are two booth monitors that are being supported by 1/4 A / B outputs on the desk. ( see attachment) My question is how to I send a signal to them. They are silent and due to the fact that I have a closed booth they are needed to hear the main mix / monitor mix / stage mix. The stage mix is not an issue after I have sorted out the initial set up of the other two mixes. It is on an assigned channel with a microphone above the lip of the stage.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

You need to go the IO patching set up menu and then patch the main mix to outputs A & B.
    Maybe think about patching the PFL to them.

Mixing for the main house system while only being able to listen to booth monitors
    it kind of tough to say the least!

Could you mix remotely using the iPad APP and be in the same room with the main system?

Profile photo of Gaston
    Gaston
    Participant

Thanks for the response. They are patched already but I am just unable to find the source to send. It will be a case of more trial and error until I get it right. A lot of the Tutorials I have been depending on aren’t giving me the answer or I am missing it. I don’t absolutely need it yet but will sooner than later. As for the booth, it has been an issue for the past 34 years. There is a window but you have to either stick your head out or set your levels and run to the door to hear your changes. Of course I could use my tablet (Android) for that but WiFi is an issue. I have “SQ For You” on my phone but without the internet to drive it I’m sunk and the screen is hardly big enough. We don’t have a dedicated source for that. I can log on to the library WiFi which is below the theatre but it has a time limit before it cuts you off and you have to log on again. And yesterday while I was there the library was in the midst of a cyber attack. Everything was shut down. I will have to wait until my next opportunity to connect to the sound desk. Likely next Saturday before I am available again.

Profile photo of Gaston
    Gaston
    Participant

Once I get past this part I will need to figure out the new hearing assist that was installed at the same time.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I would set up my own WIFI router dedicated only to the SQ.

What mix is patched to the A B outs?

Profile photo of collider
    collider
    Participant

Gaston,

I strongly recommend to have SQ MixPad used to allow monitoring the sound from the house, not booth, considering the constraints you mentioned above.
    For controlling your SQ with mobile apps, you must set up your own “audio” network with WiFi enabled, and so you need to install your own router (plenty to choose, but I ended up with Linksys, especially because of Dante, but that’s another story). The SQ and iPad/iPhone must be in the same network in order to control SQ with those mobile devices, that’s the major point here, and so other available WiFi networks cannot be used here. The SQ is inserted into the network using CAT5 or greater cable, i.e. using physical connection (see the “network” connector at the back side of SQ). The mobile devices are connected to your router using WiFi – same way as at home, in fact. Once configured correctly, it will allow you to control SQ from anywhere in the venue, depends on the radio-frequency transparency of the walls and distance. Just to remember, once your mobile device’s connected to the “audio” network, you loose ability to connect to Internet from those devices, unless your router was connected to Internet – that the reason I normally use a dedicated iPad to run SQ MixPad app (or other apps within the “audio” network perimeter) during mobile performances, while leaving my phone for usual communication purposes.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.