GLD 80 – Dante Input Source for Playback

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions GLD 80 – Dante Input Source for Playback

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Joe Hinkens Joe Hinkens 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #23903
    Profile photo of Joe Hinkens
    Joe Hinkens
    Participant

    I’ve successfully recorded multiple tracks to my Macbook Pro via the Dante interface, but I can’t seem to get any audio for playback. I’ve configured the channel mapping matrix using the Dante Controller software so that the output channels mirror the input channels. I can play back the audio through the computer’s built in sound card, but when I switch to the Dante card I get nothing.

    I’ve watched the A&H iLive video that shows how it’s done with the iLive, but at 3:25 there are some options that don’t seem to be available with the GLD. Primarily the ability to globally switch sources from the input sockets to the Dante card, or ‘B Source’ as they call it in the video.

    I’ve spent hours trying to figure it out and this rookie is stumped. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Joe

    #34536
    Profile photo of gkhewitt
    gkhewitt
    Participant

    OK, so you’ve set the mapping in Dante Controller (make sure it’s in both directions so GLD -> DVS and DVS -> GLD).

    Have you also set the mapping on the GLD itself – under the I/O screen and “IO Card In” tab?

    We use two scenes that have everything filtered apart from the patchbay – this allows us to switch Dante playback effectively “on and off”

    #34537
    Profile photo of Joe Hinkens
    Joe Hinkens
    Participant

    quote:


    Originally posted by gkhewitt

    OK, so you’ve set the mapping in Dante Controller (make sure it’s in both directions so GLD -> DVS and DVS -> GLD).

    Have you also set the mapping on the GLD itself – under the I/O screen and “IO Card In” tab?

    We use two scenes that have everything filtered apart from the patchbay – this allows us to switch Dante playback effectively “on and off”


    GK, that was the biggest part of it. I simply didn’t have the mapping on the I/O screen set properly. In addition, my unfamiliarity with the DAW software resulted in the outputs all being summed to a main L&R out. So after getting all that sorted, I finally got audio.

    I was still puzzled at the practical approach to doing a quick playback when needed. But you answered that question with the scenes. I didn’t think of that. So I can simply save a scene within a ‘Show’? Meaning I don’t have to save a different ‘Show’? I thought the Show saved all the routing settings and a Scene merely saved all the processor settings.

    Thanks for your help and the quick response. I was pulling my hair out! :-)
    Joe

    #34538
    Profile photo of gkhewitt
    gkhewitt
    Participant

    Great!

    Regarding scenes – they will save and allow recall of patchbay settings (in other words, the IO screen). So we have one scene called “Dante ON” which sets the patchbay to receive inputs from Dante, and another called “Dante OFF” which returns the patchbay to inputs from the standard DSnake inputs. You can then set the recall filter on both to exclude all other settings (so everything is filtered apart from the patchbay).

    We then have these two scenes mapped to softkeys to allow for quick on/off.

    #34541
    Profile photo of Joe Hinkens
    Joe Hinkens
    Participant

    quote:


    Originally posted by gkhewitt

    Great!

    Regarding scenes – they will save and allow recall of patchbay settings (in other words, the IO screen). So we have one scene called “Dante ON” which sets the patchbay to receive inputs from Dante, and another called “Dante OFF” which returns the patchbay to inputs from the standard DSnake inputs. You can then set the recall filter on both to exclude all other settings (so everything is filtered apart from the patchbay).

    We then have these two scenes mapped to softkeys to allow for quick on/off.


    Hey GK,
    That’s really a clever solution. It’s mind blowing to me how versatile the GLD 80 is. To be sure I’ve really got my head around this, I want to clarify.

    With the ‘Dante ON’ and ‘Dante OFF’ filter method, either one of those scenes only saves the patchbay settings. So suppose that after you finished tweaking levels, EQ, etc with the ‘Dante ON’, would you recall the ‘Dante OFF’ scene and then save that scene to another ‘fixed’ scene with no filters?

    In other words, saving it to a third or additional scenes with no filters would save everything.
    Sorry for the simple questions but all the options on this mixer have my head reelin’! :-)

    Thanks,
    Joe

    #34546
    Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

    All scenes save everything, but how much of that information is included in the recall can be set in the recall filters and scene safes.

    Chris

    #34553
    Profile photo of Joe Hinkens
    Joe Hinkens
    Participant

    quote:


    Originally posted by Chris93

    All scenes save everything, but how much of that information is included in the recall can be set in the recall filters and scene safes.

    Chris


    Ahhh, got it. That makes sense. Thanks Chris.

    Thanks,
    Joe

    GLD-80 w/M-DANTE, GLD-AR2412, MacBook Pro, Studio One 2

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.