QU-16 New Digital mixer – BROCHURE!

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions QU-16 New Digital mixer – BROCHURE!

This topic contains 23 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of frozenwaffles frozenwaffles 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of clarocque
    clarocque
    Participant

I for one hope they continue with the iLive series. I have owned a GLD-80 system and own several iLive systems and suspect I will grab a QU-16 if it performs as advertised.

For me the iLive provides something that the GLD does not do as well… scalability and redundancy. GLD also requires you to carry the mixer to use even if you only need 1 channel.

I can use any part or piece of my iLives to mix and match: no mixer, single mixer, side car mixer, dig split, dual rack etc… I can fly with a single rack and mix a show on just a laptop and still have all of my processing. Or go in a venue that wont support FOH console, not that I like that, but it is an option. Not to mention some of the price is for the R&D like the editor software.

With iLive, I find it easier to have redundancy knowing with 2 mix racks I have 2 systems that can easily be expanded or provide identical processing redundancy even if you loose the controllers.

GLD is more expensive to have mission critical redundancy (if you need it). You must have 2 GLD-80 to start with, then deal with expansions as needed.

So I still feel iLive very much has a place, and looks like other vendors like that concept as they are creating DPS based rack mixers.

I think these options are great because you have choices to get what you need based on what you do…

just my .02 cents

T112, T80, iDR48 (2), iDR16 all w/M-DANTE, PL10, MixPads, Editor
    MacBook Pro, Mac Mini,PC
    Lion/Logic Pro/PT10/Reaper
    All latest versions/firmware

Profile photo of andreher
    andreher
    Participant

Shure clarocque.
    I have also owned an IDR-48 only for these possibilities to run without mixer.
    Let’s now wait and see the capacities of the Behringer X32-RACK / X32-CORE.

Profile photo of jgrooms
    jgrooms
    Participant

quote:

I can use any part or piece of my iLives to mix and match: no mixer, single mixer, side car mixer, dig split, dual rack etc… I can fly with a single rack and mix a show on just a laptop and still have all of my processing. Or go in a venue that wont support FOH console, not that I like that, but it is an option. Not to mention some of the price is for the R&D like the editor software.

I like these aspects as well. I just don’t understand the segmentation and non-compatibility in the product line up. Love um or hate um, Behringers X32 product line provides a cohesive solution and interoperability from a rack only to their full 32 channel board. Same with the Midas PRO series, everything is compatibile and you match the architecture to your needs. Not to mention the dropping price points.

Instead we are see investments from Allen and Heath in the GLD series now this Q series (both not compatible with iLive-their flagship product and where WE have all invested money!). I am not complaining really, I just don’t understand.

Profile photo of dnxmirrorsounds
    dnxmirrorsounds
    Participant

I am a little curious about the positioning in the low end market as well. I just watched the CX April news and they mentioned a price of around $3800 in Australia which would put it squarely in price competition with the Presonus 32 and the X32 but of which have 32 channels rather than 16.

Now, I really like the feature set of the Qu-16 particularly the buttons down the right for the sends – something I wish I could do on the iLive preferably with a set of MIDI buttons or a controller.

But, sitting here, two thirds of the way through implementing a standardisation for our smaller church campus venues on Presonus 16s I am feeling a little bit like its too little too late.

However, I look forward to being proven wrong and seeing a proliferation of Allen and Heath kit through the world again :)

Duncan Whitcombe
    @Dnxmirrorsounds
    Mirror Sounds & metrochurch
    Perth, Australia
    T112, iDR48x2
    http://www.mirrorsounds.com.au
    http://www.metrochurch.org.au

Profile photo of clarocque
    clarocque
    Participant

Has any one played with the QU16 at a trade show? If so, any idea what firmware it is up to?

I ask because I see the QU-16 manual is on A&H site, but a lot of the features are listed as not available. Many that were advertised.

I have one on order based on the promotions, but some key features advertised sorta look like they may not be available yet.

Please Note
    This User Guide refers to first release Qu-16 firmware version V1.0. Several
    features are not supported by this release. Please refer to the Allen & Heath
    web site for the latest version of firmware and this user guide. For more details
    read the Release Notes available with the firmware.
    Features not supported by firmware V1.0:
    #61623; USB key Scene and mixer data transfer
    #61623; User libraries for FX and processing
    #61623; Scene Recall Filters and Safes
    #61623; User assignable Custom layer
    #61623; Qu-Pad wireless remote app for iPad
    #61623; dSNAKE port for remote audio connection
    #61623; ME personal mixer compatibility
    #61623; User permissions
    Note – USB streaming is compatible with a MAC computer only. Windows PC
    is not supported.

T112, T80, iDR48 (2), iDR16 all w/M-DANTE, PL10, MixPads, Editor
    MacBook Pro, Mac Mini,PC
    Lion/Logic Pro/PT10/Reaper
    All latest versions/firmware

Profile photo of muguun
    muguun
    Participant

Hello, I would like to know if I can record mult-tracks with Pro Tools using the USB port…

Profile photo of frozenwaffles
    frozenwaffles
    Participant

We had one of our just arrived!
    Great little mixer…
    firmware version 1.01 has just been released….bug fixes only.
    One thing it needs is groups! Groups groups groups!

Jeremy Koch
    Innovative Production Services – http://www.innovative.net.au

Current stock:
    2x T112, 1x T80, 2x R72, 2x iDR-48, 3x iDR-16, 2x xDR-16
    4x Dante Cards, 3x ACE Cards

Profile photo of Mike-Mullin
    Mike-Mullin
    Participant

Yes it needs groups,
    the ability to soft mute them,
    and soft mute mixes.
    cheers,
    Mike

Profile photo of frozenwaffles
    frozenwaffles
    Participant

just in-case anyone missed it… this mixer needs groups!
    as a minimum, we just need to be able to route the mix buses to the L/R bus and we should be all good to go!
    This feature is 100000000000000% essential and if not added the mixer should just be ‘binned’ immediately!

PS. how far away is the new firmware?

Jeremy Koch
    Innovative Production Services – http://www.innovative.net.au

Current stock:
    2x T112, 1x T80, 2x R72, 2x iDR-48, 3x iDR-16, 2x xDR-16
    4x Dante Cards, 3x ACE Cards

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.