GLD feature requests

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions GLD feature requests

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of samuel2230 samuel2230 11 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of xjcsa
    xjcsa
    Participant

I know some others have posted feature requests here, and my list may include some duplication, but I wanted to get these thoughts out there. I’m currently using a GLD with AR2412 and a single AR84, and have been talking up the GLD as a pretty amazing mixer & value to anyone who asks – I’ve been thrilled with it for our use so far.

Anyway here are my suggestions:

1. For the Delay FX engines, display delay time in BPM rather than milliseconds. Several other manufacturers do it; it makes much more sense for music applications since the band is usually synced to click measured in BPM. Bonus points: round it to the nearest 1 BPM (i.e. tapping at 77.38 BPM rounds to 77 BPM). If there’s not enough DSP, I’d be happy to sacrifice one of the other FX units to make it happen (reducing my available FX from 8 to 7, for example).

2. Also for the Delay FX, make delay times above 1,360 ms available. There are frequent times when I really want more delay than that. 2 seconds would be sufficient for any of my needs; really 1.5 or 1.6 seconds would probably cover me, but 1.36 seconds doesn’t quite do the job.

3. It would be really nice to be able to create additional stereo channels – even if this was part of the “basic” mixer configuration (along with choices like LR, LCR, etc). I don’t really need it for stereo stage inputs like keyboards, but I usually run more than 2 channels of playback; it would be nice to have them for USB playback, iPod input, and video input, for example. For now I’m just using ganging, which works, but isn’t the same.

4. The ability to assign a softkey to be a “play” or “record” control for USB audio, without having to go to the USB audio screen would be fantastic.

5. It would be really nice for the “speaker-management”-like FX unit available in the iLive to also be available in the GLD.

6. The long shot: a “GLD-112” with 8 extra faders would be extremely welcome, and I would probably buy 2 of them very quickly; instead we’re weighing possibly buying one iLive T112 now and perhaps another down the road, but the GLD offers some features we really like, most notably the ability to use Aviom and Dante simultaneously without kludging something together or spending a ton of extra money to go the modular route.

Anyway, thanks to A&H for a great product, and for continued improvements!

Profile photo of Leon BigEars A&H
    Leon BigEars A&H

Thanks xjcsa – these are good and realistic suggestions (some of which are already climbing up the wish-list chart in A&H software HQ!).

quote:

Originally posted by xjcsa

I know some others have posted feature requests here, and my list may include some duplication, but I wanted to get these thoughts out there. I’m currently using a GLD with AR2412 and a single AR84, and have been talking up the GLD as a pretty amazing mixer & value to anyone who asks – I’ve been thrilled with it for our use so far.

1. For the Delay FX engines, display delay time in BPM rather than milliseconds. Several other manufacturers do it; it makes much more sense for music applications since the band is usually synced to click measured in BPM. Bonus points: round it to the nearest 1 BPM (i.e. tapping at 77.38 BPM rounds to 77 BPM). If there’s not enough DSP, I’d be happy to sacrifice one of the other FX units to make it happen (reducing my available FX from 8 to 7, for example).

2. Also for the Delay FX, make delay times above 1,360 ms available. There are frequent times when I really want more delay than that. 2 seconds would be sufficient for any of my needs; really 1.5 or 1.6 seconds would probably cover me, but 1.36 seconds doesn’t quite do the job.

3. It would be really nice to be able to create additional stereo channels – even if this was part of the “basic” mixer configuration (along with choices like LR, LCR, etc). I don’t really need it for stereo stage inputs like keyboards, but I usually run more than 2 channels of playback; it would be nice to have them for USB playback, iPod input, and video input, for example. For now I’m just using ganging, which works, but isn’t the same.

4. The ability to assign a softkey to be a “play” or “record” control for USB audio, without having to go to the USB audio screen would be fantastic.

5. It would be really nice for the “speaker-management”-like FX unit available in the iLive to also be available in the GLD.

6. The long shot: a “GLD-112” with 8 extra faders would be extremely welcome, and I would probably buy 2 of them very quickly; instead we’re weighing possibly buying one iLive T112 now and perhaps another down the road, but the GLD offers some features we really like, most notably the ability to use Aviom and Dante simultaneously without kludging something together or spending a ton of extra money to go the modular route.

Leon A&H UK. Please do not adjust your set; normal service will be resumed as soon as possible!

Profile photo of xjcsa
    xjcsa
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Leon BigEars

Thanks xjcsa – these are good and realistic suggestions (some of which are already climbing up the wish-list chart in A&H software HQ!).

quote:

Originally posted by xjcsa

Leon A&H UK. Please do not adjust your set; normal service will be resumed as soon as possible!

Oops, just realized the last sentence of #1 was intended to be the last sentence of #2, where it is much more logical :)

Thanks for the reply!

Profile photo of nettings
    nettings
    Participant

++votes for GLD 112 with 8 extra faders!

Profile photo of samuel2230
    samuel2230
    Participant

I’d like to suggest a dSnake box with AES outs:

An “AR-84D” (digital) – two AES outs instead of 4 analog ones. Same total I/O capacity, nearly identical box hardware just one less XLR connection.

Amplifiers (Crown, Lab Gruppen, New Ashly, etc), Digital Wireless Mics (Shure ULX-D, etc), System Processors… AES is everywhere these days. SoundCraft’s new low-cost digital stage box has AES outs on the primary model. I realize there is 1 AES output at the desk, but to get that to an amp rack on stage you’d need an AES return as long as your CAT5 snake, which defeats the purpose a bit, and thats only two outputs.

If you wanted something more generally marketable, an Allen & Heath generic breakout box similar in some ways to the ME-U would get the job done also:

A 1U box with AES I/O, plus an input card slot like your ME-U for dSnake, Dante, or ACE.

I’m not a GLD owner, but if splitting via dSnake gets sorted out and an AES solution released I’d be one.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.